Over charging alternator

-

dusterdood

The Duster Guy
Reaction score
I've got the charging issue that I remember reading about before. I swapped to elec ign, and the gauge goes nuts at any RPM but at idle. I overcharged so bad driving on the highway to my buddies house today, the battery was hissing when I got there. Can I swap to a different Volt Reg?

i was having similar prob after i put the painless wiring harness in, i upgraded voltage regulators, but then I was not charging at all. I swapped out to a alternator that has 2 field wires instead of one and now it works like a charm.

I had one in my collection of wiring from cars I've parted out. I solved the problem with the other reg.
Thanks everyone.
Mike

I had that same problem when we put my 318 back in my car. I changed the voltage regulator 2 times before getting it right. No problems now. I also had acid seeping out the top of my battery. Check your battery tray when everything is solved. That acid will eat anything it touches.

Get a Red Top Optima, that will fix it.My charging woes were fixed another way. Keep in mind the sense wire for the voltage regulator is on the same circuit as half the engine bay. With the crappy stock wiring, it will show lower voltage than what is really being generated by the alternator. This causes the regulator to tell the alternator to charge even more.

To be correct, a voltage sense wire should always connect as close to the battery as possible. I rewired my harness, and my sense wire is connected to the main buss bar, where I have less than a 0.1 VDC difference from the battery (in the trunk).

good topic, i had this problem when i got my cuda, it had electronic ign on it, but the orginal volts(for points) regulator, well it took me about 2+ weeks to find out i needed a new volts reg, now it works great :toothy7:

Mine seems to be over charging also. I guess I will try another voltage regulator. Is there a way to test if its the regulator other then just buying another ?

yea adam plug in the reg if it reads over 14.5 volts its almost 100% chance it's bad. the alt produces the voltage but the regulator keeps it at a certain level.
Anything under 12.5 and anything over 14.5 is reg. pulsating headlights means alt is bad for the most part these are just the basics to start with. and there are exceptions to every rule.

racy

-
Back