over charging

-

gclintonmopars

Reaction score
68 barracuda 340 installed mopar electronic distributor and newer type 65 amp alternator 3 wires. 2 prong ballast resistor now car is over charging i was told to run a wire from alt to battery but where do you connect wire to alt and to battery Gary.

Attachments

• 100_0356.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 405
  • 100_0358.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 388
Generally this is caused by either

1--poor ground between battery and regulator

2--voltage drop in the regulator supply harness

3--a bad regulator or more rare, a bad battery cell

4--problems in the alternator or wiring harness problems

=====================================================

4--problems in the alternator or wiring harness problems: Let's check this FIRST. Unhook the green field wire---the one which goes to the regulator and run the engine long enough to make CERTAIN it is not charging. Hook the green back up and confirm that it begins charging again.

One field wire (green) should go to regulator, the other should go to switched ignition, or "ignition run"

Since this is a conversion, are you absolutely certain that it is wired correctly?

Diagram from MyMopar:

You should have added one more wire

The original green from your field wiring now goes to the "F" terminal on the regulator, and to one of the two field (push on) terminals of the alternator

The added wire goes to the remaining field terminal, and connects in with the original dark blue IGN terminal of the old regulator. This same electrical point now also feeds the new regulator I terminal

Dual_Field_Alternator_Wiring.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1--poor ground between battery and regulator

To check this, run the engine at an RPM to simulate "low to medium cruise." Make this check first with all accessories OFF and the battery charged up. Then test again with headlights, heater, etc running

Stick one probe of your voltmeter onto the battery NEG post, and stab the other onto the regulator case. Make sure to stab through any rust, paint, chrome. You are hoping for almost zero volts, which would be perfect, the lower the better. More than about .2V (two tenths of a volt) means you have a poor ground condition between the battery and the regulator.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2--voltage drop in the regulator supply harness

To check this out, turn the key to "run" but engine not running. Stick one probe of your meter directly onto the battery POS post. Stick the other onto the push - on terminal of the alternator which corresponds to blue, or "ignition run." As in the first test, the LESS voltage you read, the better. More than .3V (three tenths of one volt) means you have a voltage drop problem in the harness/ circuit path from the battery to the regulator.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3--a bad regulator or bad battery

If the other checks above all seem OK, make sure the battery is charged and have it tested. If the battery tests OK, replace the regulator.

------------------------------------------------------------------

It is unfortunate that you ended up with a "round back" alternator, as the "square back" design is much better. Also, many of the "round back" ones are hack jobs from rebuilders, that is, they have been converted from a 69 / earlier grounded brush to having an insulated brush added.

Round and square back designs:

mopp_0112_05_z+alternator_and_regulators+replacement_alternator.jpg

A typical rebuilder "hack job." This is a 69/ earlier alternator which had been "hacked" to add an insulated brush. The original insulated brush is at 9 o'clock, the hacked brush hole is at 12 o' clock, and the original grounded brush is at 6 o'clock

128306-500-0.jpg

Run a thick wire (10 awg or thicker) from the big stud on the alternator (ALT) to BATT+. You can find BATT+ at the big stud on the starter relay, which is just to the left of the master cylinder in your 2nd photo. You could also run the wire direct to the battery + terminal. For that, maybe take the wire from a junkyard Magnum engine (~85-2000 Dodge truck), which ran it across the timing cover. I did that in my 65, using the whole + battery cable and the Magnum starter. I also used my series diode idea so my ammeter still works, but that is for people very savy with electricity.

-
Back