Overdrive Transmission for 630 HP motor

-

davidcribbs

Reaction score
I went through the current threads, and couldn't find what I was looking for, so I wanted to post my question. This isn't actually for my '67 GT Convertible, but for my '55 Pilothouse Truck, although the info should be mostly the same. I am building a 630 HP 383 > 496 that I am putting in the '55 truck. It will be mainly used driving around town, and I would like to mate an overdrive tranny to the motor. My truck currently has a 4 speed in it, but I don't care whether after the rebuild it stays a manual transmission or automatic. My two goals for the tranny are its ability to handle 630 HP, and have overdrive capabilities so it is more streetable. I know that there are some after-market options with Tremec, and the like. I would like to see if anyone has used a high HP motor, and had a Mopar transmission that has handled the HP and been good on the highway. I would probably be remiss if I didn't mention that I do not want to cut the tunnel in the truck too much, since the cab of the truck doesn't have a crap-load of room to start with. Thanks with any information you can give.

For something that light, "why?" Just use a 4 speed and a street gear like 3.54/3.55 just like we did back then. Something with that oomph cal pull a higher gear

For something that light, "why?" Just use a 4 speed and a street gear like 3.54/3.55 just like we did back then. Something with that oomph cal pull a higher gear
You are correct, I just know driving around with my wife, it will make it a much nicer drive to have the overdrive :)!

There are a few companies that will build you a 4L60 or 4L80 for you with a custom bell to match your engine.
They handle LS engines no troubles.

Try look that up.
Hope this helps.

I have a 86 dodge d150, 318 with a 727 electric overdrive. I have heard these transmissions have all the durability of a regular 727. Might make a good choice after beefing it up to handle your torque and horsepower.

I have a 86 dodge d150, 318 with a 727 electric overdrive. I have heard these transmissions have all the durability of a regular 727. Might make a good choice after beefing it up to handle your torque and horsepower.
They lived, at least for awhile, behind V10 pickups and Cummins

On that same topic - anyone have a 518 running higher than stock HP through it?

The 90-95 ones seem to be getting less common.

I will be . I have a built 46rh on my bench that will probably handle 650 hp . They build them for built cummins ….

There are a few companies that will build you a 4L60 or 4L80 for you with a custom bell to match your engine.

Try look that up.
Hope this helps.
My buddy has a trans shop, most of his business comes from rebuilding the 4L60 / 4L80's, they are not bullet-proof and have issues.

Try look that up.
Hope this helps.
i think that would fit the bill nicely for what he's trying to do.

a 2004R could probably be spec'd out to take the abuse with the bonus that it's a relatively small package comparison wise.

I think I read somewhere back in post #1 that he was looking for a Mopar transmission .
Plenty of Mopar stuff that can handle it.

Back in the 60’s,,,,,Dick Landy was driving an altered wheel base car for Mopar .
It had a nitro Hemi in it,,,,and a 727 !
It Worked behind about 1500 HP at the time !

Yes,,,he blew a few transmissions too,,,but only after several runs .
A good 727 can easily hold up to 800 hp or more,,, with some good aftermarket parts.
And this Ops car is not going to be on a sticky drag strip with slicks,,,,behind Nitro !

I agree with the guy earlier ,,,call Cope !
You don’t need an overdrive unit,,,,,just a good rear ,,with a decent gear .

Tommy

I think I read somewhere back in post #1 that he was looking for a Mopar transmission .
Plenty of Mopar stuff that can handle it.
yes, and overdrive

sooo... a 518 or 46RH with probably *checks notes* a JW ultrabell... and all the associated upgrades.

i know that around here, 518's and 46RH's are hen's teeth. so once you've factored in the price to obtain a core and then the price of repair components, upgrades and a rebuild (if you can't do that yourself), plus a full custom converter... you're easily into the 4L/2004R territory that enjoys much much broader parts availability and aftermarket support.

True … if it is for a driver 650 hp and corresponding torque even 3.23s would work .

My 70 Charger weighing 4000lbs pulled 12.30s with 3.55s and a 9:1 440 / mild roller / MP template ported 906s and headers. 3.23s and a 727 would work fine. And I imagine you have 28” + tires .

Have you considered a gear vendor OD with your 4 speed? May not have to cut anything in your truck.
I have been looking at that as well, although I am a little Leary about adding another possible breaking point on the drive train. Has any else used or have knowledge on the reliability in real world applications?

I had not heard of this before, but will look into it. Thank you.

-
Back