Overhaulin: Jumped the Shark?

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
As you may know, the term "Jump the Shark" is a reference for when something is on the downward slide. The term originated from the episode of Happy Days when Fonz literally jumped a shark on water skies, which coinsided with the show spiraling down......

The latest round of ads for Overhaulin are advertising how Lance Armstrong is going to be overhauled by his girlfriend, Cheryl Crow. Now, I have some serious issues with this.

Overhaulin was probably the best of all these "reality" bullsh!t shows on TV, besides possibly Rides. Now they're stooping for the ratings by having Lance Armstrong overhauled? Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the man's Olympic sized talent, or the fact that he's hooked up with Cheryl Crow, another talent, but does HE really need the shows support? This guy is at the height of his career. He could afford to buy anything he wants. Sure, seeing a big time celebrity hood-winked could be fun, but I always enjoy the look on the recipients face when he see's his car rebuilt way beyond his ability, or checkbook, would have gone. Real people.

Anyone else see this as being bad? Who's next, Micheal Jordan? Tim Allen? Bill Gates? Or maybe I should just take another pill & chill? :drunken:

Yeah, I saw that too and thought,....... Uh, what the hell? He can't afford that? :? Come and get my Valiant for gods sake, I just need a new gas tank and I'll be happy! :thumleft:

I really don't care for any of those shows. To unrealistic for me. I mean steal a guy's car than, screw with his head awhile than give it back to him was a pretty cool idea it just got old fast for me.

American hot rod was cool at first too but I am getting sick of seeing reruns of the alumatub. Plus if I wanted to see everything done at the last minute and in a rush I can go to work and see that. Plus how many bosses take the whole shop out to go screw around having fun for a day??? I don't think so!

I saw a comercial for a new show thats on wednesday night where 2 teams have to build cars to take to the track and race each other. It looked like it could be a pretty good show because at least in the end you are working to achieve something. Unfortunenately its on the sametime as Mythbusters so I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

68GTconvert said:
Yeah fix the guy from 90210's car b/c he can't afford it. What a joke

Yea I saw that one too! His show get's cancelled & he can't get any TV time so rebuild his car for him! what a joke. I didn't like the show last night either, If that woman loved that Corvette so much, how did it get into that bad of shape sitting in the garage. That car was abused.

onehellofadart hit the nail on the head. If you don't like it,
don't watch the shows
:D

The show that I really can't stand anymore, not that I was ever a fan, is Monster Garage. They are supposed to have a build budget of like $4000, but they suck up to Jegs and Summit and Boyd's and whoever else wants some free advertising and get 10's of thousands in freebies. They did a tractor pull rig last week using a Willy's Jeep, and I think the freebie value was something like $47,000!!!! Damn, send that check to me gosh darnit!!

Yep. Thats what happens when something becomes popular. All the little scumbag bean counters crawl out of their holes and want to "improve" on a winning formula. And usually turn it into a hot, steaming pile of ****.

I just watched Full Throttle. It's hosted by those twin tools that used to host that NOPI/Tuna-crap/ rice-bomb show on Spike channel. While they're less annoying than the rice-r-us show they hosted ( Yo!Yo!Yo! My man.... we be slammin!) they're still a matching pair of knobs. And the build teams; wow.... The guys who knew what they were doing loose and the weenies win.

Time to dust off my Block Buster card, or start building model cars again this winter. Because TV sux..... :roll:

Yea Full throttle was the show I was talking about. I finally got to see it tonight also and was not impressed!

I gotta tell ya, I was kinda mystified by them doing the Goat for Lance, especially after he had OCC build him a custom Chopper for $150 bazillion. :roll:

slantzilla said:
I gotta tell ya, I was kinda mystified by them doing the Goat for Lance, especially after he had OCC build him a custom Chopper for $150 bazillion. :roll:

Good example of fame bypassing substance,OCC.

If I had the cash, OCC would be the LAST place I'd have build me a bike. With all the pressure, rushing, and in-fighting I wouldn't want to trust a critical weld or fastening of items to these Bozo's! That show is the WORST bussiness card you could have. It shows a pack of apes in a hurry to build YOUR dream bike because they don't manage their time efficently. And they act like, well.... Apes.

NOTE TO SELF: Stop ranting when on medication

OCC...I agree, the last place I'd have build me a bike. I'd like a bike by Billy Lane or the late Indian Larry. I'd also like a West Coast Chopper, despite the overhype, they are bad a$$. As far as my opinion on Overhaulin', I still think it's the better of the "car" type shows on primetime. I don't like seeing rich, famous people getting a Foose hot rod for free. I have plenty of crap for them to build if they really want to help someone out. :shaking:

One more thing I can say about OCC, in thier defense, I have a greater interest in building my own bike now and have since bought two old triumphs to build, one as an "Old School" Triumph Chopper.

I like OCC,but Paul Sr. does get on my nerves with all the bitchin about stupid crap!
American HotRod is total crap i hate that show from the retards who work for Boyd and Boyd himself!The one that put it over the top for me was the so called Mustang in a barn they supposedly found :roll: Two words BULL$HIT!!!!
I used to like Monster Garage but wow is that show going down in flames,with some of the stupid crap they been building.
The best one they ever did was when they had the old guys on that build custom cars and they chopped and sectioned that 54 Chevy. :thumleft:

As for the rest Overhaulin is ok for what it is.
Rides does some good shows like the Sick Fish and the Rat Rod episodes.

American Hot Rod does suck really bad. I like the chick on Overhaulin'. I guess I'm easy to amuse...

I like watching any show that builds a decent car, unless they're just showing you how to bolt on another chome chevy part. "Show me how to do something different."

I thought that overhaulin' was supposed to be about helping out a struggling gearhead finish the dream cars he's been working on for years but couldn't afford to finish. They kind of killed it for me when they started doing high profile people who could easily afford to have it done.

HawaiiDuster said:
I thought that overhaulin' was supposed to be about helping out a struggling gearhead finish the dream cars he's been working on for years but couldn't afford to finish. They kind of killed it for me when they started doing high profile people who could easily afford to have it done.

That's my point Craig! First they do that tool from 90210. Then they did the car collector (who went out & bought ANOTHER car to replace the "stolen" one....), now Lance Armstrong, who's face is on every third commercial on the tube. Like he's in need of support or donations from the generous people who contribute to the show. :?

Not crying sour grapes here thinking I should be the one (`tho it would be nice....) but I always enjoy the show when you see some average joe getting way more than his ability or checkbook would have gotten him. THAT'S the show I like watching.

Oh well.... another example of corporate America making things better. :roll:

The American Hot rod show I can not believe they even put
that show on the air those guys are the dumbest mechanics I have ever
seen, and they are on T.V. :scratch: I saw an episode where took 2
of those boneheads 2 days to get a 350 chevy motor timed and fired.
Most of us could have done that in the dark during a thunderstorm!!
As for some of the other shows Overhaulin was alright but it is kind of dumb when they are rebuilding some of these washed up actors cars,
that is kind of hokey. OCC, I don't even watch I can't stand that
Paul SR. crying and swearing about every little stupid problem, someone
in the shop should clock him up side the head with an exhaust pipe :cheers:

Xanth said:
Anyone want to get Mopar TV going? lol

Sounds like a good idea!
But it could bring a bigger demand for mopars once there out there and everyone sees what they been missing by driving GM crap!
Then the price will skyrocket and the average guy won't be able to afford them anymore.
Much like the Hemi and six-pack cars are now getting such crazy money!

Just my 2cents :D

I was turned off of American Hotrod the first time I saw the show. They built a roadster with a Chebby engine of course, and the thing wouldn't run right. They kept tearing things apart, and then someone who was about to throw some of the boxes that the parts came in noticed there was something in one of the small boxes. These high priced mechs. that probably make 6 figure incomes forgot to put the rotor button on the distributor. My dog could have noticed that.

I'd bet the top guys at Boyds don't make half of a six figure income. That's why they are such morons, it's a bunch of half wits bolting together some mail order crap, just like OCC. The smartest person on American Hot Rod is Boyds ex-wife, she divorced that A-hole and took half the business!

-
Back