Overheating on run stand

-
Saying that the ring-gaps are in spec is Not helpful.
My KB107s were installed with loose skirts and gaps in spec, and it still overheated and the so-called "in-spec gaps" were the sole source of my overheat.
----------------------------
The timing curve was worked out years ago for my alloy-headed 367, and is
14 initial/going to 28@2800/going to 34*@3400; with 22* in the VA. This allows me to run 87E10, full-time, @185psi cylinder pressure........ and more
Therefore TOTAL Cruise-Timing was and still is, 50*@2800, going to 56* at 3400
Furthermore;
When cruising, I throw in up to 6* more from my dash-mounted, dial-back, electronic timing module, or
the same module can retard the timing up to 9 degrees.
After the new gaps, the engine did not/has not overheated, even when retarded to as little as 5* idle-advance.
-------------------------------
I'd venture to say, that all our SBMs; at idle/no load, will want far more advance than our distributors can give, and still be able to run WOT with that same curve. By 2000/no load, most will accept more than 45*.. By 2800 cruise, mine wants 50/55*
But
At WOT/full-load, and after ~3600, they all want ~34* +/- 2*.

How I can tell the right cruise timing for my 367, at any speed/rpm, is to run the car up to the target mph, then retard the timing with my dial-back module. Then wait.
If the car loses speed, it wanted more cruise timing, so then I add back what I subtracted, then add 2*more, and wait. If the car picks up speed, I reduce the throttle, back to target speed, then add 2* more. Repeat until additional timing produces no more speed increase.
On one particular cross-country trip, when I did this, she ended up at 63*@ 65mph@ 2240 rpm. That's how I cruise the countryside, getting EFI -type mileage numbers.
Put a scanner on your EFI car, any modern-EFI car, and watch the computer looking for the ideal advance. You're gonna see numbers that you wouldn't believe are possible, never mind are actually being tried by your car's computer.

Good luck

PS
If it overheats on the run-stand, it will overheat when installed and sucking hot underhood air. If it was me, I'd leave it on the stand until you get the heat under control.
BTW
The fastest way I have found to bring the heat down, is to spray the rad with a fine mist. When the mist flashes to steam, it will suck the heat right out of the rad.
But
It will make a mess in your garage, lol.

Last edited:
Lol, well if u dont think my response was helpful, u look up the specs. 70 340 .030 over TRW old school pistons. Working 16 hr nights for the past 2.
I'm confident that the problem will be resolved with more timing and a box fan.
Saying that the ring-gaps are in spec is Not helpful.
My KB107s were installed with loose skirts and gaps in spec, and it still overheated and the in-spec gaps were the sole source of my overheat.

The timing curve was 14 initial/going to 28@2800/going to 34*@3400; with 22* in the VA.
Therefore TOTAL Cruise-Timing was and still is, 50*@2800, going to 56* at 3400
Furthermore;
When cruising, I throw in up to 6* more from my dash-mounted, dial-back, electronic timing module, or
The same module can retard the timing up to 9 degrees. and
the engine did not/has not, after the new gaps, overheated when retarded to as little as 5* ignition advance at idle.

All our SBMs; at idle/no load, will want far more advance than our distributors can give, and still run WOT. By 2000/no load, most will accept more than 45*.. By 2800 cruise, mine wants 50/55*
But
At WOT/full-load, and after ~3600, they all want ~34* +/- 2*.

Well I mentioned to Lori I was buying a box fan...."what about the orange one??"
Doh....I swear I'm my own worst enemy....:elmer::BangHead:
Also checked and fan is installed properly

20240519_192030.jpg

20240519_192051.jpg

70 340 .030 over TRW old school pistons.
Ok then, for those that might want to know, from my 1969 service manual, (sorry, I don't have a 70 Manual) the piston/rings spec are;

Skirts;
half to one and a half thou, which is .0005>.0015
Ring gaps;
compression @.010>.020 , and
oil scrapers @ .015>.055 ..
Who on FABO, has successfully run in these windows?
Just trying to be helpful.

Pictures are worth 1000 words.

I see you are running a cast iron water pump.

(driver's side lower hose exit)

Just wondering if that old school water pump is flowing enough for your updated 340 engine to keep it cool?

Screenshot_20240520-155108_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Pictures are worth 1000 words.

I see you are running a cast iron water pump.

(driver's side lower hose exit)

Just wondering if that old school water pump is flowing enough for your updated 340 engine to keep it cool?

View attachment 1716252294

☆☆☆☆☆
The early 340 came with the cast iron water pump. The 68 4 speed 340 was the hottest one.

Well a little humble pie is in order here folks lol, @69FBCuda sent me a pm mentioning that he thinks fan is on backwards. I was a little skeptical as I looked at pics and it would appear the cw rotation would still pull air thru the rad. BUT if you look at prev pics above, you can see the mounting arms are located on "front" of blades. Art sent me other pics showing the arms on rear of blades.
@ProjectBazza had mentioned it as a possibility as well.
@oldkimmer asked about rotation also.
I got up early before work and removed rad and fan to inspect.
Well looks like it I had installed it backwards, BUT it was installed the same way in the car by me a few years back lol. See new pics below, you can see color difference when I had painted it a few years ago where the spacer was located.
Thanks to all, hopefully install tomorrow, pi$$ off the local Karen and will update.
Thanks all, gonna go eat some humble pie lol

20240520_173232.jpg

20240520_185722.jpg

20240520_185739.jpg

Alrighty! That's gotta make some difference! lol

I agree Rob, but the curious thing is it appears I mounted it backwards a few years back in the cuda and wasn't running noticeably warmer??
Alrighty! That's gotta make some difference! lol
Thanks PB, let's hope so lol.
Damn! Like I told you, I really hope it's that simple, Steve.

Good luck tomorrow, and I'll be looking for updates at the office!

It’s not the pump, I’ve run the cast iron pump for 10 years 12.2 to 1 with four of the arms cutoff. It bumps off the thermostat.

Why would it matter on a run stand which way the air goes through the radiator? Answer, it doesn’t. It will make the shroud a little less effective though.

Well a little humble pie is in order here folks lol, @69FBCuda sent me a pm mentioning that he thinks fan is on backwards. I was a little skeptical as I looked at pics and it would appear the cw rotation would still pull air thru the rad. BUT if you look at prev pics above, you can see the mounting arms are located on "front" of blades. Art sent me other pics showing the arms on rear of blades.
@ProjectBazza had mentioned it as a possibility as well.
@oldkimmer asked about rotation also.
I got up early before work and removed rad and fan to inspect.
Well looks like it I had installed it backwards, BUT it was installed the same way in the car by me a few years back lol. See new pics below, you can see color difference when I had painted it a few years ago where the spacer was located.
Thanks to all, hopefully install tomorrow, pi$$ off the local Karen and will update.
Thanks all, gonna go eat some humble pie lol

View attachment 1716252425

View attachment 1716252426

View attachment 1716252427
Did you install your pistons backwards too like UTG? Just kidding! Glad you found the problem. It happens to the best of us I have the same fixed 7 blade. Worked great keeping this cool with no shroud, but I recently switched to a viscous clutch fan to gain some freed up HP. I might need to find a shroud though.

Clutch-style fans are inconsistent and we do not recommend their use for any application, if possible.

Steve!!

Your stupidity has been redeemed.

The fan will blow air the same direction if it is mounted either way.

Now for the BUT....

The curved shape of the blade will be more efficient in the correct orientation (orange)

"L" is leading edge of the fan blade

"T" is trailing edge of the fan blade

PXL_20240521_212155162.jpg

Steve!!

Your stupidity has been redeemed.

The fan will blow air the same direction if it is mounted either way.

Now for the BUT....

The curved shape of the blade will be more efficient in the correct orientation (orange)

"L" is leading edge of the fan blade

"T" is trailing edge of the fan blade

View attachment 1716252774
I agree 100%

Looking like it's solved! 180*, 80 psi, 1000 rpm 32*, 2000 rpm 40*. No boilover.
I wonder when I can install inner springs?
Thanks all :thumbsup:

Thanks Todd, yes, nerve wracking for sure. But feel better now. I'll feel better once in car and rolling down the road lol.

-
Back