Overheating

-

crooked1/2dozen

Reaction score
Hey y'all:

So my new to me '64 225 was overheating, car was supposed to be in good shape when I bought it, went for a short spin in the 'hood, looked down at the T gauge, it was pegged. So I went through the usual steps to fix it, easy things first, good fluid level, put in new thermostat. Still overheated, pulled rad, flushed, flushed heater core, still ran hot. Finally, did the hardest job, put in a new water pump. When I pulled the old pump, it had a plastic impeller, I think it might have been the original based on paint etc.. It turned out that the impeller was seperated from the hub, so it wouldn't spin! Never seen that before. Car still runs a bit on the hot side, but that's OK.

Dan

Wow, Quick response!!!!

I'll do the valves for sure, just got the car and haven't got around to it. Haven't driven the car much, but it runs a bit over 1/2way, you can see the needle change as the thermostat opens and closes. Have checked the timing, it seems to be a bit out of whack, plus....is it just my car, or is it really hard to see the timing mark on the balancer???

Thanks for your interest!

Dan

IMHO a bit over half isn't bad. Back in the mid '70's I had a used '71 Scamp with a 225 cid \6. No matter what I did I couldn't get any heat. Replaced everything including rad, pump, heater core, thermostat, (many times) and all hoses. I also restricted the bypass hose. The engine ran so cold that the breather cap would plug up with frozen blowby condensation in winter and cause the engine to stall at idle.
I'd be happy with what you have but do adjust your valves and timing to be sure.

-
Back