overheating

-

duster340

street racer
Reaction score
i have e pretty hot 340 in a duster i am using a radiator from a ford scorpio (dont kill me for that one) and right now it is overheating alitle from time to time and i noticed that my electric fan doesnt start after som thinking i checked the sensor and thats not the strange part of the problem because the radiator only gets warm about halfway up and the sensor for my fan is at the top of the radiator but how is it possible that i am loosing water from my expansion tank that is over the top level of the radiator when the radiator is nowhere neare full?
any help apreciated
if my description of the problem needs some more information please let me know:)

You probably have an "air bubble" in the cooling system. Here's a couple of suggestions:

1. Fill the radiator to the top without putting on the radiator cap. Start the engine and let it idle. If there is a bubble in the system, it should literally "burp" out as the engine gets warmer. Fill the expansion tank last. Make sure the radiator is topped off before you add coolant to the expansion tank. The bubble may also explain why part of the radiator is cool and other is hot.

2. Try finding a good Mopar radiator in the states. If not, get a good aftermarket radiator. The one you are using is probably not large enough to handle all that Chebby beatin' horsepower.

this radiator dont have a radtioator cap for some reason so i gues i will have to try to fill it up by disconecting the top hose for it and then fill it thru that hose, thanks:)

actualy this radiator has worked real nice for two summers no one seams to know why but it actualy does its just as big as it can bee i dont have any space left;)
but i am looking for a nice aftermarket one have talked to diferent companys that import and sell car parts over here and i just havent figured out who of them sells the best radiator for the best price..

I noticed you said you are losing water into your overflow tank. It's possible your cooling system is being over pressurized and forcing water out of your radiator and into your overflow tank. You may want to run a compression check and check to see that all of your cylinders are reading consistent PSI numbers. It's possible that you have a leaking head gasket. I only mention this because you said the cooling system had worked fine in the past. Let us know what you find out.

i will have to look into that too, last time i checked they were all solidly at the same preasure;)
but i realy should not have a problem with that because i run copergaskets and o-rings, but i trust you guys on all ideas;)
i will look into that to;)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MOR-63730&N=115&autoview=sku

MOR-63730 $23.95
Estimated Ship Date: Monday
Product Line: Moroso Radiator Hose Fillers

mor-63730.jpg

mor-63730.jpg

problem is fixed now, big airbuble in the radiator i gues, took the upper radiatorhose apart (its a two piece hose after i put in this wide radiator) and filled up the radiator with water with the overflow tank open and now it runs at the proper temperature again! thanks for the help guys!
BTW checked cranking preasure and it was rocksolid at 145psi on all cylinders, i doubt the scale alitle on that preasure meter but as long as all cylinders are equal i am pretty happy
also noticed a that i probably have a bad intakegasket thanks to middleagecrisis ide´that i should check my cylinderpreasure thanks alot;)

-
Back