P/S GEAR QUESTION

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Tore down my P/S gear for my '71 Demon to re ring and seal it. My manual shows 2 bearings supporting the sector shaft. When I pulled the sector, I found that there are no bearings, but rather a slip fit into the case. Has anyone seen this before?

BTW...Has anyone re-built one of these that I could hit up with any questions I may encounter during my journey?

Thanks

Got it done today, but.......Can anyone advise if there is supposed to be a bit of a tight spot as you cross over center? Gear moves smooth with all new seals and a good cleaning. Adjusted the sector shaft as per specs. It gets a little tighter as you cross over center. Is this normal? BTW. This is mounted in a vise and not under power, or full of fluid. Everything was well lubed with PS fluid during assembly.

I ran into the same thing in a Dodge truck box I rebuilt. It had a funky spot in the center. It bothered me enough that I rebuilt another box I had and that one was fine. Had my brother go through the first one and he couldn’t find anything wrong. I put it on another truck and it still had the same issue. I can’t help you solve it but I am curious if someone can lend some insight.

Normal steering boxes have a tight spot going thru center, but it needs to be measured with an inch pound torque wrench. The preload on the input shaft also has a adjustment that needs to be set first and then the sector shaft is set.

I set the pre-load on the input shaft at 22 oz's and staked the nut. Manual said 16 to 24 so I figure I'm good. This tight spot is felt "on the bench".

-
Back