P3690426 History

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It looks like the Mopar ignition conversion kit for the small block is no longer available.
Preform sells one, but I've never heard much good about Proform.
Anyone familiar with it? pro-440-426

I looked into that one a while back. I wound up going with a complete MSD setup (billet mechanical advance dist, plug wires, 6AL box). I am VERY happy with it. Instantaneous starts, better throttle response and better idle. It will set you back about $600, but it was WELL worth it.

Bear in mind you are talking about a design that was introduced in the early 1970's which implies the design itself is several years older than that. "If you must" have a Mopar box, there's an old thread on here somewhere where a member gutted a Mopar box and hid a GM 4 pin HEI module inside.

The distributor that is in the kit is P3690430. That is the hard part to find.
You can still buy the wiring harness and find many different ECU available instead of the orange one.

The distributor that is in the kit is P3690430. That is the hard part to find.
You can still buy the wiring harness and find many different ECU available instead of the orange one.
Halifaxhops usually has a few of the MP distributors avail for sale.
Sometimes the same p/n was used even when they made changes - that leads to some confusion.
The Chrysler buit ones had pretty good curves in them - that's the most important thing.

I should've given more info. This
thread:Unilite Work With Stock ECU? is about what I'm doing. I don't want to spend much, but I wasn't having any luck figuring out how to wire the Unilite. I thought I'd give in and buy a Mopar kit.
Today, I figured it out and I'm up and running. Thanks for the ideas.

-
Back