Paging Evaporust gurus

-

Cuda68Scott

Reaction score
I am rebuilding some KH calipers and put them in a bucket of Evaporust this afternoon. Any advice on how long they should soak? Any idea on how many uses I can get out of the stuff? And finally after removing just rinse with water and dry?

IMG_3794resize.jpg

Here is what I have soaking (not the brake hoses or lines though..)

IMG_0313resize.jpg

At rest in Evaporust!

I usually let the parts soak for 24hrs then pull them out and rinse with warm water. Also try to dry them fairly quickly and prep for paint so they don't flash rust. The Evaporust will last a while but goes bad as it turns black.

I usually let the parts soak for 24hrs then pull them out and rinse with warm water. Also try to dry them fairly quickly and prep for paint so they don't flash rust. The Evaporust will last a while but goes bad as it turns black.

Thanks FJ5. I just picked up some VHT caliper paint so that should cover my base.

I prep all parts before soaking them as it helps the Evaporust last longer. Remove all the grease and rust you can. A wire brush works well on calipers. Then I leave the parts in until all the rust is gone whether it takes a few hours or a few days. Rinse with clean water. Dry thoroughly. If you want to keep them looking nice hit them with some paint as soon after drying as possible.

I have been using Evaporust on all my brake, and suspension parts rebuilding for probably the past 10 years or so.
Great product.
Theres no problem with soaking the brake lines and hoses, in the Evaporust.
Won't hurt them.
I get the 5 gallon pail at the local O'Reillys, so there's more Evaporust to soak around the calipers, and i just put the parts in the pail during the morning, and take them out in the evening, or just leave them in overnight.
Depends on how rusty they are from the git go.

Kelsey Hayes Calipers 4 Piston 006 (Small).JPG

I prep all parts before soaking them as it helps the Evaporust last longer. Remove all the grease and rust you can. A wire brush works well on calipers. Then I leave the parts in until all the rust is gone whether it takes a few hours or a few days. Rinse with clean water. Dry thoroughly. If you want to keep them looking nice hit them with some paint as soon after drying as possible.

Thanks Furious. I did not wire brush them but I did clean them pretty good with a degreaser and water rinse before placing them in the Evaporust. Today about 5pm will be 24hrs and I will do a check and maybe post a result photo.

I have been using Evaporust on all my brake, and suspension parts rebuilding for probably the past 10 years or so.
Great product.
Theres no problem with soaking the brake lines and hoses, in the Evaporust.
Won't hurt them.
I get the 5 gallon pail at the local O'Reillys, so there's more Evaporust to soak around the calipers, and i just put the parts in the pail during the morning, and take them out in the evening, or just leave them in overnight.
Depends on how rusty they are from the git go.

View attachment 1714990757

Thanks Hemi71x, I have always admired the quality look of your brakes and front end suspension parts that you post for sale, hope my KH project can turn out half as good.

great product and for what it's worth i have diluted it using 4 parts water 1 part evaporust for very large parts and it still seemed to work well.

I pulled the parts out of the bucket at just shy of 24 hours and was pretty impressed with the difference:

IMG_0314 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0315 - Copy.JPG

A little rust remaining on this side of the caliper, probably because it was down in the bucket on this side. For this one I went ahead and halved it and put it back in the bucket for another day.

IMG_0316 - Copy.JPG

So I do have some corrosion in a few of the cylinders near the fluid entry hole. Do I need to do anything about it such as honing, or as long as the piston moves freely am I OK? I used to hone drum brake wheel cylinders everytime I replaced brake shoes, but do not have any experience with rebuilding calipers other than changing pads. I was thinking maybe since they seal on the rubber ring that maybe a little corrosion is not that big of a deal as long as the piston moves freely. I may repost this question in a new thread depending on what I hear back.

great product and for what it's worth i have diluted it using 4 parts water 1 part evaporust for very large parts and it still seemed to work well.

Thanks for that tip, I may try that since I have quite a few more parts to do: hubs, spindles, and dust shields. I have been finding it for about $21 gallon at a few places. :(

I've let parts sit in Evaporust for a week or even a little longer if needed. I've found a lot of times the 24 hour recommendation isn't long enough.

Do you own a Dremel tool?
I use a Dremel, with whats called a "flap wheel" to just lightly "hone" the bore of those Kelsey Hayes, 4 piston calipers, in my rebuilding.
Or just use some sandpaper, and twist it around the bore.
You will be fine.
Don't worry about it, loose any sleep over it.
Little imperfections in the bore won't hurt at all.
The piston is sealed at the top of the bore, so your good to go.
Your calipers came out of the Evaporust pail ok.
Put them back together after rebuilding them.

If you have more Big parts to Evaporust you migh want to invest in a 5 gallon pail of the product.
You can get it at the O'Reilly's stores these days.
Used to order it online, but now a days i just go to the parts store, and i have it in a few hours, out of their warehouse, if i order it early enough in the morning.
But a 5 gallon pail is in the $90.00 range.
But well worth it if your going to keep on cleaning parts.

Last edited:
Thanks hemi71x, I will pu a flap wheel and try that with my Dremel, well it actually is a cheap Ryobi but works ok. That price on the 5 gallon pail Evaporust at Oreilys is better than Tractor Supply at $21 per gallon that I paid, thanks for that tip also.

That looks fantastic. Wish I had used that instead of wire-brushing all the suspension and steering parts on my two A's when I had them apart.

That looks fantastic. Wish I had used that instead of wire-brushing all the suspension and steering parts on my two A's when I had them apart.
Thanks Bill - I was pretty pleased with the result although wire brushing is cheaper and can be counted as exercise! I ended up dunking that one caliper that still had some rust for another day in the Evaporust and it seemed to do the trick. Now on to the other parts - hubs, spindles, and dust shields!

Great product for sure, any convenient mechanical means of removing the bulk of the rust certainly extends how long it lasts for you. As far as flash rusting, I did exactly as the
directions said, rinse the part clean and dip it back in the solution and let it dry. The slapstick B-body shifter I did still looks perfect, and sat for well over a year&1/2 in a bag, no
oil and handled multiple times. Spring plates for my omni I pulled out, patted dry & painted w/rustoleum, perfect adhesion no problems over 2yrs. later look perfect.

-
Back