Painless or make my own ?

-

mopar383

Reaction score
I'm building a 66 Valiant pro street. I pulled all the chopped up old wiring out and now im wonder what would be a better route. Buy a system from painless wiring or do my own.

if you got the skills, I say build your own, but if you have doubts, then buy one, no need to burn the car down, good luck either way.

That really comes down to do you want to put the time into it and do it cheap? Or pay a ridiculous amount for some wires and fuse box, but have it ready to go... The painless stuff is nice, but definitely something you can do in your garage. Do you still have your old wiring to use as a template?

Yes Rusty I do but wow its a mess. Everything under the dash was a mess. Id hate to use it as a templete.

I got my harness from EZ wiring universal mopar. Hlf the cost of Painless. Has been recomended on FABO many times. EX WIRING 383 437 1077

I'm building a 66 Valiant pro street. I pulled all the chopped up old wiring out and now im wonder what would be a better route. Buy a system from painless wiring or do my own.

I just did a Ron Francis kit on my 1974 Duster. It wasn't to bad. Kind of pricey though.

I see you live in NE Ohio. I live in Garrettsville!

I'm in Shalersville.....small world. We will have cruise together one of these days if I ever get this thing done

I have a Painless harness. Hardly painless though. They mis-wired the switch box, and the fuse box... I had to have them send me a schematic to troubleshoot with since they don't include one in the kit.

Their tech support initially blamed me, as if I couldn't read... See all their wires are labeled for their full length as to where they go. You would really have to be dumb to screw it up... Unless of course the switch and fuse box wiring was screwed up to begin with.:mumum:

I used a KWIK kit...pretty simple around between 150 & 200 and relatively EASY to install...... no matter what you do using generic wiring you will have to tweek it...
The third option is to pay the completely outrageous cost for replica wiring...
You do have options! and suggestions.....ball is in your court

I've heard (and seen) good things about Rebel wiring harnesses. $150+, depending on how many circuits you want on the fuse box-I think up to 20 circuits are possible. Worth looking into, anyway. The one car I've seen with it, a chopped up '57 Chevy, the guy loved working with it. Claimed it was some "non-burning" wire coating. It is heavy guage stuff, too. Finally, the fuse box seemed shorter than Painless'.

I have a Painless harness. Hardly painless though. They mis-wired the switch box, and the fuse box... I had to have them send me a schematic to troubleshoot with since they don't include one in the kit.

Their tech support initially blamed me, as if I couldn't read... See all their wires are labeled for their full length as to where they go. You would really have to be dumb to screw it up... Unless of course the switch and fuse box wiring was screwed up to begin with.:mumum:

Same prob with a painless kit I did years back. All that money and they can't get it right

I have a Ron Francis system in my Signet for the last 20 years, works for me, even got a built in regulator in the fuse box :)

Thanks guys.....I think you talked me out of a painless kit. I will look at some of the others

I don't know about their Mopar stuff, but the American Auto wire kit I put in my kid's Chevy pickup was awsome. Factory connectors and enough extra wire to do the job twice.

i have a new in box painless that i was gonna use in my dart but havn't... maybe a deal to strike up

I don't know about their Mopar stuff, but the American Auto wire kit I put in my kid's Chevy pickup was awsome. Factory connectors and enough extra wire to do the job twice.

they don't have a mopar specific kit. i put their highway 22 kit in my dart. very easy to adapt to a mopar.

Ive done a lot of research on this very thing in my opinion I would get one of the ezwire packages and go from there. I'm guessing that you will be running some electronics and fans,nitrous solenoids etc etc as well as what you need for the rest of the car. For less than 200 bucks you can get what you need I have heard that there are no mopar specific instructions with these kits..If youre considering doing it yourself this would be a good deal. You can spend a lot more money for convenience and ease but if youre dead cheap like I am but still want quality this is it.

x3 on the American Autowire kit. I've used alot of kits out there and these guys by far are better. (My opinion). There are cheaper kits out there, for sure. I've found that there is a reason for that also. I was never impressed with alot of the instruction sheets that come with most of these other kits. I know of a few that even looked like copies of handwritten notes. Some have claim to better oil resistant or temp resistant wiring, but the strand count is inferior on the actual wire itself. For the money, the quality instructions, the quality wire and the one of the best fuse panels I've seen, I'll stick with American Autowire.

-
Back