Painless Wiring Help

-

Chep

Reaction score
Before I start I will tell you I have already Googled and searched this Forum for an answer. I started rewiring my 73Dart Sport and immediately ran into an issue with the ignition and turn signal. The terminal they told me to use with the stock connector does not fit. Squared peg round hole. I have already went to Napa and Autozone. Can someone tell me where to but the terminals/pins or do I need to just make my own? Anyone else run into this issue or just me?

Top is the new pin from painless
White wire is to turn signal
Yellow wire is ignition.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 191
You have now discovered why Painless and so far as I know, all the rest of the aftermarket harnesses, are not "Mopar friendly." So far as I know, you either have to re-use the old ones (splice, heat shrink, etc,) or else "drum up" a good switch side connector "half" body and use the GM style that came with the Painless

"Most" of the rest of the connectors in these cars are "Packard 56" which you can get. Those, no idea if or where

Okay so I should just reuse these for the ignition and turn signal and the rest are GM style?

If anyone has found replacements, I've never heard. But the ignition, especially, is prone to damage from higher current. I would be tempted to find another (new) connector, this can be "anything" that can handle the current, Molex, GM OEM, Cannon, Amphenol, whatever

Mine is dash mount, and the switch will only trigger relays, so not an issue, for mine

Radioshack use to have the correct pin terminals. There was a thread on here somewhere that gave the size of them. Unfortunately all of the Radioshacks around here closed.

I ended up making my own connectors, I bought male and female 6 and 8 terminal connectors, which took the packard 56 style ends. Worked great!

Thanks everyone for the input. I actually contacted a company that said they will find me the part numbers I requested. I also bought a weather pack installation kit and I will be swapping out all the connectors. I will probably need some help with the gauge cluster soon.

i was able to reuse my ignition plug. i carefully removed the old connectors and used new terminal connectors from ron francis and installed. worked like a charm.

I made my life easy and used the gm headlight and dimmer switch. once installed you cant even tell.

^^Right^^ But the OP is different, he has a column switch which uses different terminals. What you have there are the "Packard 56" terminals which are fairly easy to get

-
Back