Painless wiring

-

SBDart

Reaction score
I need to rewire my 71 Dart . The wiring is old .
How hard is a painless kit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 594
Hi,

It really depends on your comfort level with basic electrical circuits and fabricating wiring.

You will need to put on electrical terminals by using crimping tools and at times soldering. Knowledge of using heat shrink tubing and heat guns is helpful as well. If you are not comfortable with electrical circuits and wiring and those areas are a complete mystery, you will quickly find yourself in over your head. These universal harnesses are not plug and play by any means and you might find it better to use good reproduction model specific harnesses if you really need it to be closer to plug and play.

They're not painless at all. They're mostly geared towards GM apps. Look into American Auto wire, Ron Francis Wiring, or budget minded EZ Wiring for better options.

I have a Ron Francis system in my 64 Signet and it was made for my 64 Signet... Been working for a very long time

I put the painless in my dart, it was not to difficult but it is wired for a GM Ignition switch. I went with a ididit steering column so that made it very easy as theirs is wired for GM switches as well. If you are comfortable with wiring and wiring practices then its not that bad...Mine fired up on the first try with only 2 wires on one head light reversed. Plan on about 40-50 hours to do the job correctly.

Might Google "M and H wiring". They were one of the first companies, that accommodated aftermarket modifications on muscle cars.

I put one in my duster and I thought it was pretty easy, although the I have a lot of aftermarket parts like msd, gauges, heater it was the best way for me to wire my car. If my car was all stock, I might have done something different.

Thanks for all your guys input. I have looked at Ron Francis wire kits
Price was good vs painless . I will check out AA wiring .
Myself I can do some wiring but my 20 year son is awesome with wiring
He will get the most of the work .

It is a couple months old topic but i have experience ron francis harness in my 74 swinger, and i don't like those instructions, there is mention GM more than mopar in those instructions and that is confusing. I think i bought mopar harness but no, it is chevy harness. And when you connect your ignition switch you probarbly have 5 wire in your ignition switch but this rfwh instruction says you should connect only 4 wires. If you connect only 4 wires and you try to start your engine, you probarbly burn your ignition box, like i did (brand new msd6 al). When i ask about this ignition switch issue, they said i have wrong ignition switch, that was BS. Also there should be few hot wires when you turn your ignition switch acc,on, start, but i dont have, then ask again why that wire is not hot when it should be-> "we have to rewired it and make changes.blaah, blaah blaah". There is a lot of GM car instructions in this kit. Wire quality looks good to me and connectors too. But definitely last ron francis wiring harness what comes in my car. It's not wort it.. mopar harness, yeah right.

I did mine last year. I did a painless kit. I had never done any wiring EVER!!!!! I did my homework and before i ordered my kit i downloaded and printed the install manual. At the risk of offending others that have done this, Its pretty damn easy. The wires have writing on them that tells you exactly what they are for. Yes they are geared toward the Chevy stuff because they sell prob 100 kits for a chevy to 1 mopar. Its not a problem at all to use the factory steering column or the factory ignition. My manual had a diagram for the mopar column and ignition. I had to do a little research for the ignition but it was as simple as putting a jumper wire in on the start circuit. I have aftermarket gauges and ignition system. I was pretty anal about my install and took my sweet time. If i wasn't 100% sure about a wire I didn't land it. Painless had a great customer service tech. support line also.

here is my install thread.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=215487&referrerid=24205

I did an EZ 21 circuit wiring kit. I've never done wiring before and it wasn't that hard at all with everything labeled like it is. It's wired into the factory ignition switch with a GM style column (IDIDIT). The hardest part was maybe wiring the MSD to find a wire that was hot during cranking. Other than that it was straightforward.

I did an EZ 21 circuit wiring kit. I've never done wiring before and it wasn't that hard at all with everything labeled like it is. It's wired into the factory ignition switch with a GM style column (IDIDIT). The hardest part was maybe wiring the MSD to find a wire that was hot during cranking. Other than that it was straightforward.

i ran a jumper wire form ign1 to ign2 on the switch so that i had a constant hot to the ingnition box.

[/attach]

Attachments

• unnamed (21).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 320
  • unnamed (20).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 199
I tried every company mentioned in the previous comments with no luck. I would like to simply replace all the wire in the engine bay. The stuff in the rest of the car is fine. While I know I could just buy a complete harness and use what I need, this seems way more expensive and kind of a waste. Perhaps find everything from the 3 bulkhead plugs to the headlights.?. Any ideas?

I tried every company mentioned in the previous comments with no luck. I would like to simply replace all the wire in the engine bay. The stuff in the rest of the car is fine. While I know I could just buy a complete harness and use what I need, this seems way more expensive and kind of a waste. Perhaps find everything from the 3 bulkhead plugs to the headlights.?. Any ideas?

no way your gonna get new. i guess your only option is to find a good harness on a junk yard car. or take yours out and rebuild it. you can find the schematics on line.

Check out Evan's Wiring. I have his engine harness and it fit perfect. Email him what you're looking for, his website isn't very good.

do not buy an evans harness unless you want to be chasing bad crimp connections all over the place on the side of the road..

what are you working on? check with year one. they deal with M&H. its the best stock style harness out there.. i know they have atleast a engine harness for most popular models..

-
Back