Paint advice

-

Thunder

Reaction score
I need a little advice on primer. I have started sanding on my 73 Dart Sport which has some areas of surface rust. It is coming off fairly easy with 100 grit. I have decided to take the car down to bare metal. I would like to know what the best way to prep the metal and what would be the best primer to use. Keep in mind that this will be my first paint job. I've let it scare me for too long and I'm just jumping in and going for it. Thanks in advance for the help and advice.:coffee2:

Get it stripped. Start your metal work. ive the body a good cleaning and make sure you dry it really well. Then go over with a grease and wax remover. You will want to use an epoxy primer. Some suggest an etch primer.

Etch will kill your lungs. Wipe with phospho, too get it the holes. Then epoxy. Lay it down wet, as it it a biatch to sand.

Im an Etch then "slick Sand" high build primer guy, its like cheating but makes easier to get straight

Most professionals, myself included, would use an etch primer and then a primer surfacer over it. Another tip, do the car one panel at a time so you dont get overwhelmed, seen this happen quite a few times. Also, wear your respirator!

For your self etching primer, use this avail in a convientient spray can as you only need 2 light coats:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/U-POL-ACID-PRIMER-M-I-R-COMPLIANT/dp/B003ZWDZ9I"]Amazon.com: U-POL ACID#8 - ETCH PRIMER M.I.R. COMPLIANT: Automotive[/ame]

The reason for using an acid self etching primer is it will help to "kill" and stop the chemical reaction of rust.

As for primer surfacers, a good resonably priced option available at many parts stores is UPOL brand, like this:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/U-POL-URETHANE-Build-PRIMER-Auto-Car-Paint/dp/B002MCTAT6"]Amazon.com: U-POL 2.1 URETHANE High Build DTM PRIMER-Auto-Car Paint: Automotive[/ame]

Easy to mix, lays out well, and wetsands good. Put 3-4 good coats on.

When it comes time to sand the primer, apply a spray can guide coat and start sanding. Sand it with 320 grit to start and smooth it out and finish it with 400grit for solid colors and 600 for metallics. Hope this gives you a good start.

Epoxy (DP40-50-90) (reduced) first over bare metal (80grit it with a DA for good adhesion) then you can do your body work on top of the epoxy as long as it's properly scuffed.

Remember get your metal close with good tension then use your filler and 36grit then finish with 80; after fill the scratches with finishing bondo then 150 and use a low build primer. (DP20) Then after it's been wet sanded use a sealer (Reduced Epoxy again) base and clear or single stage.

High quality bondo will make your life a lot easier (evercoat rage gold) use bondo thinner for the skim coat and don't undercut it. This way will save you money and give you a much better finish job then all the people who say use lots of primer. Don't forget how expensive primer is and how much it can/will shrink and chip under the paint.

Don't forget your straight edge and use your long board**** (Use the straight edge to check to make sure the panel has the proper rock and to check for high points)

Thanks guys for the help. I'm sure I'll make some mistakes but I'm going for it. I'll get my build thread started soon. We'll see how it goes.:coffee2:

-
Back