Paint code Help

-

1972Dart

Reaction score
Well my dart is getting the primer put on this week and hope to start spraying color by the end of this coming up weekend. Problem is I still haven't nailed down the color I want! I want something bright, unusual and obnoxious. Sorry but I'm not a complete purist on this one and don't want to use true vitamin C orange paint code. I want something with more metallic and all the oranges I see in the paint chip books are flat and look pumpkin like. So now I'm thinking about using Deimler Chryslers 2005 Electric Lime Green found on jeep wranglers. Just wondering if anyone knows the paint code for a bright metalic orange color or what do you think of this green color? ThanX in advance for any help or suggestions! :thumblef:
http://www.vanboxtel.com/jeep_wrangler_rubicon_2005_lime_green.htm

You could go and look at paint chips prior to making up your mind. Must be that time of year? Finding a cool color can be like a kid in a candy store (wanting all, but can only pick one). Some places now even have software that will change the color of your car on the screen. Paint color is also a personnal thing...(each to their own). I'm not sure about the green, but it may also depend on your inside etc. Your right, I think something bright is a must. When I had mine done I liked blue's however there was a whole book on blue. I ended up closing my eyes and picked one. The guy told me..he had never really seen my color before and asked if I wanted to go brighter, then I thought...everyone else seemed to have a bright blue, so I left it. I'm very happy with it, and mega guys have asked me the color name. Anyways....I'm sure what you pick will look sharp. You will have to post us some pics :thumblef:

pic4.JPG

I need to find a distributor near by so I can look at some colors not just paint chips. This is alot harder to decide than I ever thought. I keep going back and forth and just can't decide and times up now to finalize it! All the hard work I spent on the body and doing the mods I don't want to screw up by covering it with something that looks bad. I suppose anythings better than the flames that it had on it.

I doubt you'll find an orange with a heavy metalic. Are you going with a single stage paint or a basecoat/clearcoat combo? If you're going single stage, keep the metalics light because the heavier the metalflake content, the harder it is to stay away from tiger striping when you paint, and tiger stripes don't look cool in any color. :)

I would like to use a single stage paint. I found a nice PPG color but it turned out to be a 3 stage paint code and I don't want the extra cost and work. Thanks for the link 69signet, still looking through the list to see if I missed one.

They aren't single stage but Dupont's Hot Hues line has some bright colors. The clear coat paints will have more brilliance than single stage will. If you want to make your Vitamin C stand out, have it mixed in bc/cc, add a little pearl to the first 2 coats of clear, then follow with 2 more coats of clear. It takes very little pearl to really make a color "pop". You will be amazed at the difference in the brilliance. Clear coat alone will change the appearance of your original color.
One paint job I did that got alot of positive comments was done with a factory GM black cherry color, followed with 2 coats of clear with a touch of white pearl, followed with 2 more coats of straight clear.
Good luck with your choice.
Dallas

Dallas gave you some very good advice there. The BC/CC system is far superior when you're using metalics, and a little creative chemistry, like he mentioned ,when you're spraying the clearcoat makes for a very nice paint job. If you aren't a "full time" painter, get some test panels and some different paints and have some fun getting the combination that suits you and your car.

MOBodyman said:
They aren't single stage but Dupont's Hot Hues line has some bright colors. The clear coat paints will have more brilliance than single stage will. If you want to make your Vitamin C stand out, have it mixed in bc/cc, add a little pearl to the first 2 coats of clear, then follow with 2 more coats of clear. It takes very little pearl to really make a color "pop". You will be amazed at the difference in the brilliance. Clear coat alone will change the appearance of your original color.
One paint job I did that got alot of positive comments was done with a factory GM black cherry color, followed with 2 coats of clear with a touch of white pearl, followed with 2 more coats of straight clear.
Good luck with your choice.
Dallas

Dallas, thanks for the help! Dumb question, how much pearl should I add? I know you said it takes very little, I'm just wondering where a good measurement would be. I'm getting "assistance" from a friend who has painted cars for the past 20 years. Another words he went over my body work and helped fine tune a few things after I got it ready. He's going to spray it for me so I don't get so many "flow indicators" if you catch my drift. Problem is I'm kinda on my own with finding the paint code to get him etc. I don't wannna bug him cause I'm grateful for him just helping me out. I'm sure he would know but I'd feel better being informed myself and doing all the leg work ordering the product and letting him just do his thing.

Not a dumb question. Unfortunately the custom work I did was not an exact science and I had to experiment a little. The type of pearl I used came in a little jar, not sure if it was even 4 oz. You could get it in several different colors. I used white on the truck I painted black cherry. There was a multi-color one I used over a black basecoat on another job. It was so highly concentrated you could literally just dip your stir stick in it and then stir it into a quart of clear and it would turn the clear very cloudy. Of course when you sprayed the clear it was really transparent. I mixed too much in the first time I tried it but after a little experimentation I got it right. I sprayed a couple of coats of clear with the pearl and then followed with two coats of straight clear. The reason I used 2 coats of clear with the pearl is it is easier to spray a second coat if you don't have enough pearl in the first one, if you put too much on with the first coat, you can't take it off.
I haven't used any yet, but they have the pearls in powder form now. I've seen the powder they use to mix factory colors and it looks like it would take more of it, possibly a small spoon of it in a quart. The best thing to do would be spray an old fender the color you are going to paint the car, then mask it off into 3 or 4 sections and try a little different mixture on each one to see the effect. It will be a little trouble but worth it when your car is gleaming in the sun and you're collecting all the compliments.
Good luck,
Dallas

Thanks for taking the time to do some explaining for me. I plan to experiment around, and do some trial runs before I shoot the car. I'll post pics when its done

-
Back