Paint experts ? Chalky paint ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what causes white and red paints to be come chalky ? This happens even with base/clear paints and Id like to be able to tell customers exactly why I cant just wax the dry white Honda. I cant say Ive ever come across another color (in base/clear) that drys out. It must have something to do with a chemical in the paint because it makes its way through the clear coat and ruins buffing pads when ever I get them.

Early Jap cars didn't use 2 stage paints. The elements destroy enamel paints especially the sun. Most folks won't take the time to wax a car so the finish has no real protection. 80's and early 90's Toyotas are the same way. I usually waste a good wool pad when detailing the older Toyotas and Hondas. I did find a way to help clean the dead paint before buffing it. Large carwash sponge and a box of baking soda will do wonders before a good buffing!!

I would always advise them that most of the original finish will be removed and will require a new paint job at a later date. They really didn't care since most were selling them anyway.

Not to many bc/cc cars did that. Most I have seen had the cc delaminating.

Like stated above, if you see color on your pad it's a single stage paint. I have even come across "newer" vehicles that had a single stage paint on them, but that was ten years ago or so. They still used it for a lot longer than some other manufacturers. If the clear has been eaten away from UV you will see it clearly, and the panel (most of the time on top sides of panels) will be zero gloss and you could buff all you want it ain't comin back.

I've noticed that the sun oxidizes the hell out of red paint moreso than any other color.

Think it has to do with the amount of gold that is in the red that sunlight uv rays really seem to eat up.

Have not noticed it so much with white, but white is very forgiving and as you know, ignored by car owners because it does not reveal dirt as well as colored paint so maybe you see more white cars like that because they are simply neglected more?

I have three white vehicles, and had a white Dart swinger and I can attest to washing them maybe once for every five to ten times I had to wash my colored vehicles.

Nope these are not single stage cars. The one in the shop is a 2008 Honda Pilot. It seems every time I get a white car its dry and chalking.

Heres a good example of what Im talking about. This is not my detail but its the same issue. Chalky white paint on a car thats only a few years old.

If it's a 2 stage paint, I don't know what to tell you....

Clears don't care what color they are going over so if the clear is chalky, it's a problem with the clear. I would look for signs of a poor, previous repair.

i just painted the front end on a red 03 mitsubishi a few weeks ago and it had the original red single stage on it. it looked horrible. had to buff the whole car to match my front end. cheaper clear coats have a tendancy to chalk up after a few years. they don t have enough UV protection.

2003 still with single stage ? Perhaps these junks are single stage but I find it hard to believe they are still using it on a 2008

That guy...I would let touch my Car! Wow...Cant wait to get mine out of the garage one of these days and give her a dust off and wax!

It's been along time since I went to paint school, but it's very scientific and way over my head.

Anyways, here goes.

White would be opaque

The difference between transparent, translucent, and opaque objects is that opaque objects are denser in molecules than translucent objects and that translucent objects are denser than transparent objects.

Transparent objects let all the light rays pass through. (candy top colors)

Translucent objects are denser therefore allowing only some light rays to pass through because some are either being absorbed or reflected. (most base colors)

Opaque objects don't allow any light rays to pass through because all of the light rays are being reflected or absorbed. (i.e.,white)= duller finishes.

I think that's one of the things I learned in paint school, but like I said , It's been a long time.

That paint wasn't oxidized! Looks to me it was at a storage facility for a while. Just plain dirty! I even notice the dust used in fingerprinting on the door.

Safty-Kleen offers excellent detailing chemicals. I think if there is an issue with the clearcoat it can be buffed out as long as it isn't cracking or scratched.

Clearcoat is a catalized product. If it fades it is more than likely a bad run of the product. It is polyurethane so its like having a thin plastic coating once cured.

I have also seen No Touch car wash chemicals destroy auto finishes.

-
Back