paint fuel tank or not

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Well got my tank all cleaned up,needs a sending unit tho.So what have you all done.Did you paint it, what colour,or left it as is any thoughts,mine does not look like new but in good shape.

Probably personal preference but i painted mine silver.Doesnt get as dirty as black.Breaks things up a bit under there too.

When i installed my tank 3 years ago i left it natural and sprayed it with clear coat,still looks great...

put a nice clean used tank in my duster from a dart, real clean inside but outside had black over spray, some surface rust and glavanize showing. i da'd it and shot it gloss black, i got a can of aerosol truck bedliner i was going to hit it withthat after but might leave it gloss black. its nice and clean and doesnt really stand out like hey look at me!

When I redo mine I am going to use some Tank Tone Metallic Coating from Eastwood. It should protect from rust and replicate the look of the original finish. But I think black would look nice and be just as good.

All sounds good,but still havent made my mind up yet.Clear coat sound good and so does black tank silver straps.i have seen the same body colour too.

All sounds good,but still havent made my mind up yet.Clear coat sound good and so does black tank silver straps.i have seen the same body colour too.

A black tank will attract heat from the sun reflecting from the pavement.

I would clear it or go with aluminum or silver colour.

I installed a new one last month, I think I'll shoot some clear over it to try and keep that new look to it!

I used spray on bed liner and silver on the strap.It was a used tank and had alot of pitting which the bed liner helped cover nicely.Looks nice.

A black tank will attract heat from the sun reflecting from the pavement.

I know black acts like a solar collector in the sun, but I hadn't heard of it attracting heat from an indirect source, interesting.

I shot mine with Krylon Hammer Tone Gray/Silver.

Barracuda517-vi.jpg

I also threw a piece of FatMat on top of the tank....
Barracuda499-vi.jpg

I know black acts like a solar collector in the sun, but I hadn't heard of it attracting heat from an indirect source, interesting.

I often wonder if the gas really gets that hot with a black tank in the shade as it is on our cars..... then it must be really rough on all those Harley motorcycles... about 9 out of 10 Harleys have black tanks!

:bs:

Up date. I painted the Tank black polished the straps and cleared them.The tank was a little ugly to polish and clear.But thanks to all that had great ideas.Cheerssssssssssssssssssss

Up date. I painted the Tank black polished the straps and cleared them.The tank was a little ugly to polish and clear.But thanks to all that had great ideas.Cheerssssssssssssssssssss

Good for you!

I mounted a fan to blow on my black gas tank to keep it cool... I think the car is actually faster now.

Good for you!

I mounted a fan to blow on my black gas tank to keep it cool... I think the car is actually faster now.

A fan could work. But I dump some ice down in to the tank every time I fill up. You get cool gas and water injection for MAX POWER!!!

You you guys tell ya what Burntorange just for you I will post a pic when its in.and Mull you might be on to something LOL.

Paint it. I had mine powdercoated initially a few years ago but ended up re-coating it in VHT silver wheel paint, which is very tough and gave a nicer finish.

CIMG1190WEB.JPG

-
Back