Paint gun for hobbiest?

-

1969GTS340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in knowing what paint gun members here are using on their cars?

I only have a few paint jobs under my belt, but am planning to purchase a HVLP style gun to replace my old school (no-name) gun. I will be spraying metalic, clear and some basic single stage on various upcoming projects. I've read past posts that raved about Harbor deFreight guns as much as Sata, Devilbiss etc... but I'd like to hear from some DIY members who paint their own cars, but not necessarily a
professionally painter.

Last edited:
Honestly the Harbor Freight guns now rival the DeVilbus spray guns. Ever since HVLP guns came out, you are basically buying a needle and seat and you control with your fingers. I bought my guns off Amazon- no name and they spray amazing. Primer, solid colors, rust oleum paints, clears.
Syleng1

If you don't have a large air compressor the lvlp guns might work good for you.
Sprayit or it's copies are among the best as well as europro i think from astro pneumatic. The lvlp
guns also reduce waiste and overspray.

I have painted most of my cars with a FX3000 Graco, though I am a better wet sander than a painter... put lots of clear on so you can cut and buff it out.

I'm experimenting with a few. My Devilbliss FLG3 was ok (there are newer models now) but I am liking my Iwata Kiwami4 especially for clear. I also have an offshore Aeropro R500 A610 but I have only used it for primer so far. Harbor Freight's Black Widow gets good reviews on the paint and body FB groups. Check out Youtube's Gunman reviews.

I was a body man for 20 years. Being out of the trade now 25 I found my guns in rough shape. I bought this kit. One gun is good for primers and single stage paint and clearcoat. The other is great for basecoat and clearcoat. Small one for small stuff. I agree if you change tip sizes and can help a lot but I never had to.
https://www.amazon.com/Tools-6900-9-Piece-HVLP-Spray/dp/B000M61KKG/?tag=fabo03-20
Or you could buy this one gun and change your tips accordingly.
https://www.amazon.com/Nefepho-HVLP-Spray-Gun-Kit/dp/B0C282G3S1/?tag=fabo03-20

Oh, I restored and painted both my rides with them too.

209.jpg

Dart Pic 2 (2).jpeg

Eastwood is where I got my hvlp at a good price.
Works nice.

Eastwoods products are going to be made by someone else just like Harbor Freight's products....likely offshore like everything these days. For base and clear I would spring for a low end name brand such as Devilbliss FLG5 or Iwata Kiwami4. There is good value in buying an offshore gun if you know which ones to get. As far as I know they are all copies of older name brand guns such as SATA, etc. The trick is knowing which ones are good copies. My $100 AliExpress Aeropro is fine for primer. I might try it on base/clear when I spray my valences. It came with 4 different nozzles.

Thanks Guys for all the feedback. I haven't narrowed my search down to anything particular yet. But from what I'm reading so far, I don't need to invest in a $400 plus gun.

Think about getting a gun that has different tip/nozzle sizes or one where you can buy different sizes that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Think about getting a gun that has different tip/nozzle sizes or one where you can buy different sizes that don't cost an arm and a leg.
Check out the Tech service sheets for the brand of primers/topcoats you will use for tip sizes like said. Tip size!! That is a big part of the pie!!! Like the key is quality of body work,,, the key is also in the small details of laying down the primer/paint, more so than the GUN!! IMHO

I would buy the purple $15 gun from HF and spray color / clear.
I do not like it for primer, you need a larger tip to shoot primer.

-
Back