paint help

-

ddettloff

Reaction score
I tried to paint my cuda today just shoot the nose followed paint mfg specs for hvlp recommended 8 to 10 lbs.
Yikes shot orange peel bad using a urethane paint from nappa any suggestions, pressure seems low to me and not shooting well at that psi.
Or am I doing something else wrong.

HVLP spec calls for 8-10 at the cap - which is also not necessarily what's going into the gun. With a gauge at the gun and the trigger depressed enough to flow only air, try cranking the air pressure up to 30-40 psi and see what happens. The paint is not being atomized properly - you're spraying big 'ol droplets.

any suggestions that would get rid of the orange peel, sand with what grit and then reshoot the nose

Yes, you'll need to let the paint cure sufficiently to sand it smooth with at least 400 before re-shooting. If you have a scrap panel, do a sprayout test at the higher pressure and see what happens. There several factors that can contribute to orange peel - but start with your pressure.

Its all pressure. I am a painter by profession and paint multiple cars a day so I speak from experience. As long as your mix was correct and your speed was not too slow.

Forget the specs and adjust your pressure for performance, some practice passes on a scrap panel adjusting until you find the sweat spot that your gun and paint mix lays on nice will pay off for you.

It was pressure I cranked it up to 40 lbs and did a test shoot came out fine.
I should know better as a man not to follow instructions.
Now I have to wait for nose to dry then sand and repaint.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

-
Back