Paint job complete!!

-

Tad

Reaction score
8B107C67-B6E5-4E8A-BA51-4E09D73F0069.jpeg
CFDBB3E9-D030-4CE1-AC26-AC8DC3BCE415.jpeg
08F78AAA-539C-418E-B7D0-A666FCDE66D4.jpeg
Finally finished the paint job. Lots of color sanding to do. I made one big mistake by forgetting to put plastic over the back wheels. I’ll deal with that later.

So Cal is a bit of a drive, but I'll leave now and what 2-3 weeks later I can pick up my dart all painted as pretty as your car?

Looks great

So Cal is a bit of a drive, but I'll leave now and what 2-3 weeks later I can pick up my dart all painted as pretty as your car?

Looks great
Thank you! Bring a pack of 320 grit sanding pads, choose a color and let’s get it done!!

Educate us on color sanding...last thing I would think would be running sandpaper over a new paint job but I know it can be done.

The orange peel looks pretty fierce on that but sanding it down, providing you don’t burn thru the colour, will make it smooth and give it that mirror reflection (after a lot of polishing after the sandpaper). Time consuming but well worth it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking same thing. That's a pretty nice subdivision. You sure you didn't piss any neighbors off.

Educate us on color sanding...last thing I would think would be running sandpaper over a new paint job but I know it can be done.
It’s definitely a bit scary at first to put sandpaper to new paint. However if you start with at least 1500 and then do the next level at 2500 and then use a polisher with a wool pad and Maguires M105 and then a foam pad and Maguires M205. You would be amazed at the gloss you can get.

Looks nice! So.....you painted it in that house (garage) up that driveway, in THAT nice of a neighborhood? I bet the neighbors be like :mob: :mad: :elmer: LOL
Actually super low if not hardly any smell. I had a filter on the inlet and double filter on the outlet and it was blowing out against a white cabinet. Had plastic over that and absolutely zero overspray.

I'm thinking same thing. That's a pretty nice subdivision. You sure you didn't piss any neighbors off.
They all know my cars and I work on them. I live in a cul-de-sac. Everyone actually thought it was really cool that I was doing it and was excited to see it. Behind our house is a huge wash/Greenbelt area so no one behind us where I had things venting.

1500? I thought it was like 400 or 600! Ha Im glad I read this...1500 followed by 2k or 3k and then buff and polish.

I've started with 600. Usually 1000. The courser the flatter. Same with plastic filler. Better be four coats of clear if you are starting with 600. Flow coating is the way to go. I've had people ask how many hours of buffing I had in a job when I never touched it with a buffer.

1500? I thought it was like 400 or 600! Ha Im glad I read this...1500 followed by 2k or 3k and then buff and polish.
I’ve only got two coats of paint so if I start any lower there’s a chance of burning through. On some of the other parts like the scoops I started with 1200 and1500 and 2000. Recently read and saw an article that said you can start with 1500 and go to 2500. I guess it just depends on how much you have to take down and how many coats of paint you have too.

I’ve only got two coats of paint so if I start any lower there’s a chance of burning through. On some of the other parts like the scoops I started with 1200 and1500 and 2000. Recently read and saw an article that said you can start with 1500 and go to 2500. I guess it just depends on how much you have to take down and how many coats of paint you have too.
If the plan is to color sand and buff, three coats is the norm. If you are just hitting the nibbs, 2 coats can work. The best buff job can never compete with a uncut flow coat.

If the plan is to color sand and buff, three coats is the norm. If you are just hitting the nibbs, 2 coats can work. The best buff job can never compete with a uncut flow coat.
This is my first time ever painting a car. What I noticed was that my first coat of paint would go on and lay down like glass. I would wait 20 minutes or so to go back to put the second coat on and for some reason that’s when the orange peel would occur. Any input on why that would’ve happened?

This is my first time ever painting a car. What I noticed was that my first coat of paint would go on and lay down like glass. I would wait 20 minutes or so to go back to put the second coat on and for some reason that’s when the orange peel would occur. Any input on why that would’ve happened?
20 minutes is a long time between coats. Most people look at the paint procedures and heed to the times but do not read the @ 70 degree base line. Different temp reducers come to mind too. If the first coat has tacked up too much , the next coat will not flow with the first coat. That seems to be a problem with new painters. Throw all of that out of the window and closely monitor when the clear is just tacky to the finger. Not stringy but not dry. Thats when you need to pound the second coat. The second coat should use a little more material than the first coat. It will be less likely to run than the first coat.

20 minutes is a long time between coats. Most people look at the paint procedures and heed to the times but do not read the @ 70 degree base line. Different temp reducers come to mind too. If the first coat has tacked up too much , the next coat will not flow with the first coat. That seems to be a problem with new painters. Throw all of that out of the window and closely monitor when the clear is just tacky to the finger. Not stringy but not dry. Thats when you need to pound the second coat. The second coat should use a little more material than the first coat. It will be less likely to run than the first coat.
Totally makes sense. I noticed in a couple areas where I got the second coat a little thicker it did lay down and smooth out. The paint was not dry or even stringy when I put the second coat on. Weather was probably about 70°. I chose to paint this car as my very first car to learn a lot of these lessons. I’m practicing so that I can put a nice two-stage paint job on my 69 super bee.

Totally makes sense. I noticed in a couple areas where I got the second coat a little thicker it did lay down and smooth out. The paint was not dry or even stringy when I put the second coat on. Weather was probably about 70°. I chose to paint this car as my very first car to learn a lot of these lessons. I’m practicing so that I can put a nice two-stage paint job on my 69 super bee.

Do you sand the paint before you put the clearcoat on?

-
Back