Paint Job

-

gunbunny

Reaction score
My Duster is ready for paint, I've got some money stashed to do the job.
My question is this:
How much should a decent paint job cost?
Keep in mind this is a /6 car. When finished, it's not going to be a blockbuster. I don't intend to take this thing and have it graded or judged for that matter. I just want all the body panels to be the same color and for the car to look nice with some wax.
So I'm not spending $4k on paint for a car that's only worth $7K on a great day!

Half way decent materials will cost 2k min. If the car needs no metal work and is straight as can be and you bring it in stripped you may get away with a job under 5k.

You will get a lot of suggestions. everything from Rustoleum roll-on to one similar to the previous one to this. Really up to you, I spent 2K on materials and did all my own work including spraying the car and parts. In any case, good luck!
Rat:coffee2:

gunbunny doesn't give us a clue if he can do the work or h ave to pay someone.

$2000 for materials. ??? you know, the more the stuff costs the more durable??? maybe???? people can call the auto paint store and price their midline materials. everyone doesn't have to have high end b/c, some can get by with acrylic urethane. there are plenty of mid range price epoxy/sealers etc that won't totally break the bank. this has been discussed to death on here..

I spent 500 on materials , painted it myself and it came out very nice.

you will get those people that will tell you that you have to mortgage your house in order to get a decent paint job , but its simply bullshit. most likely they are the ones that got ripped off or didn't do their homework.

I spent 500 on materials , painted it myself and it came out very nice.

you will get those people that will tell you that you have to mortgage your house in order to get a decent paint job , but its simply bullshit. most likely they are the ones that got ripped off or didn't do their homework.

X2,$500 in materials and 6 weekends

Attachments

• cuda outside 002.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 423
Yep if he can paint it himself he can do it for a few hundred. If it doesn't need any body work he can go with a mid level quality paint at a decent shop with a booth, they can scuff up the paint that's on it tack it off, tape around all the windows etc and paint it, not worrying about the underside for under 5k easy. Since it's a /6 car and he doesn't want to pay much hit harbor freight and paint it yourself. He say decent paint job, to me that's what you see at cruise nights and weekend car shows. But then says wants all the panels to be the same color that's a Macco job.

This was a $400.00 Maaco job in 2008. It is their next to the top level of service with clear coat mixed in with the paint. The top level uses a separate clear coat layer. I used the factory color code and got the color and hue that I wanted. Before committing, recommend going by the shop to see samples of their work and try to get a feel if their work is half fast or not.

Best wishes on your repaint. Hope it all turns out well.

Attachments

• 2010.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 406
I can't paint, so that's not an option.
Besides, I've had a couple strokes that say I not even going to try it.
I'm just looking at cost vs value. Kinda like installing a $2000 stereo in a $1500 car. I've seen it done, didn't do a damn thing for the value of the car. In the end the car was still a $1500 car with a $2000 stereo.
I just don't want to be upside down on the car.
All the panels the same shade and be able put a decent wax job on it.
That's all.

One word MACCO!

This.. Look and ask,for a good franchise, there are bad ones. They used to use Swerwin -Williams products, 5-10 years ago. I sold it at NAPA,as "Martin Senour". Had good luck,with durability. I would do rough bodywork myself, I don't know about that quality.. A single stage catalyst job, is great bang for the buck.

You can also check with the local college/tech schools that offer body shop classes,

I thought about the Voc School, just to late.
School is about to let out at the end of the month, so they're not taking any projects.
I called a Maaco, they have several levels of service. I guess I'm going to check them out this weekend and see what their work looks like.

If you check the Macco website they sometimes have discount coupons (maybe 100.00)
There are a number of shops in my area....Los Angeles...that will paint a single stage with a color change....jams, engine compartment, trunk for under 1000.00. I'm with you, it doesn't make sense to me to put a $3000-$4000 coat of paint on a car like our A bodies unless you plan to seriously show them. Especially here in LA where just parking in a lot is an exercise in frustration. If you look on Craigslist you will probably find a few shops that will do a decent job for a reasonable price. Just make sure you visit a few times before you commit to see the quality of their work.

If you check the Macco website they sometimes have discount coupons (maybe 100.00)
There are a number of shops in my area....Los Angeles...that will paint a single stage with a color change....jams, engine compartment, trunk for under 1000.00. I'm with you, it doesn't make sense to me to put a $3000-$4000 coat of paint on a car like our A bodies unless you plan to seriously show them. Especially here in LA where just parking in a lot is an exercise in frustration. If you look on Craigslist you will probably find a few shops that will do a decent job for a reasonable price. Just make sure you visit a few times before you commit to see the quality of their work.

I had my duster sprayed at maaco in black. They did a really good job for what I paid for (somewhere around 1k). I think it is important to talk to the guy that will be painting your car to make sure he actually cares about what he does to the car. I've heard horror stories about maaco, but personally I would take another car back to the guys at the Reynoldsburg, Oh maaco. Unless they all quit lol

Check out your local Macco, ask for a tour of the shop and look at some of the work they turn out. Make a couple of trips there, you usually will see a car that just came out of the booth. Check out what X amount of money will get you.

Just paid $3500 cash for an awesome paint job on my 70 swinger. I had previously bought $500 in materials to have my uncle do paint and body work. After I wasn't happy with the patched in rear wheel wells and the holes from the trim that were filled in. Plus the paint looked pretty bad.

For $3500 I got a local guy that owns his own shop to completely strip the car and respray everything door jambs/motorbay/ect. Its not a perfect job but you get what you pay for this was sparyed in a booth and baked on. Base coat clear coat.

I had a dodge shadow sprayed by maaco in Toledo about 10 years ago. I paid for upgraded work $1200 and no body work was needed. Looked good for about a year. Never would waste my time/money there again.

It's been over two years and the black on my duster cleans up and shines almost like the day after it was sprayed, I haven't waxed it yet either. I guarantee if I held a paper up next to the car I could read what it said on the page through the reflection. I'm not being paid by maaco (lol) but I believe the product I got from them was above what I paid for. *edit* But it's not a 100 point show car either :)

id imagine its probably garage kept also. I have no doubt the paint job on the shadow would have looked good if it was kept inside. But after a year of sun/snow/salt mine started to peel and crack. Looked like someone took a razor blade over the roof/hood/decklid.

You got a point, it is mostly garage kept. I drive it in the rain sometimes and once in the snow when my ranger broke down and I had to get to class.

-
Back