Paint Or Undercoat?

-
Please do NOT put anything on your car from the box stores. Bed liner can be asphalt or butyl based. Make sure it is NOT asphalt based. You will never get rid of the smell. I suggest that you paint and clear underside body color and use "Lizard Skin" or something similar for sound and heat control. If the car is only used in good weather there is no need of traditional undercoating. IMOI:finga:

if you are going to paint it why not paint it gray with body color overspray like when new?
...i just don't get the body color or black thing?

Lizard Skin. Google it. Not only will it permanently protect against rust, but it is designed to protect against heat and road noise transfer into the car. It really works GREAT.

POR-15 is not remotely similar to rustoleum.
It's extremely tough and very effective when applied properly to the right surface. It's messy, process sensitive, and paint doesn't stick well to it. On a rusty surface that I don't want to replace, it's awesome. On a new surface, I'd use something else.
On a sidebar, I have painted over POR by spraying it with primer while it's still tacky. Did it on a car I didn't car too much about and it seemed to work...

Painted the bottom of mine with a couple coats of black polyurethane paint.

A few years ago, just for chits and giggles, I had a hood, with lots of surface rust , even some pitting. I da'ed it, applied Ospho ( phosphoric acid sol.), let it dry, and applied with a foam brush Rustoleum or tractor enamel ( same stuff??).... It sat out in the weather 2-3 years. Then I went to d a off that, I could hardly get it off. Yes the UV rays had fadded it. Yes I had a reaction in places where the enamel wrinkled some. Still could hardly get that off too!!!!
Two things I learned. Use a good primer (epoxy), and UV rays is hard on NON good auto paints!

"I have painted over POR by spraying it with primer while it's still tacky"
You can paint directly over POR15....don't let it cure...apply while very tacky but not wet... works and looks great but like anything....surface prep is everything.

Paint or undercoat? Rotesserie guys want the bottom painted and shiny like the rest of the car. Then car show go, Mirrors, etc.

I like my car rustfree , clean, no car show, just drive, when ever where ever, ( NO I do not live in salt) so I like the bottom cleaned, epoxy primered, painted, and undercoated as it would have been of done at the factory. Just me.

-
Back