Paint over Paint

-

tony20110

Reaction score
I am going to start painting my 66 Cuda. The body is in great shape with no rust to speak of and two small areas of bondo on rear quarters. Due to financial and time constraints I am thinking of working on those two areas and shooting on top of the existing paint. The car is currently white and I am painting it a light blue.

What grit should I use to sand the paint? 180? What primer(s) should I use. Evercoat metal glaze or an epoxy primer first than Evercoat? Or epoxy then filler primer than evercoat?

Basically what is the process of shooting over paint? What steps are there?

Thanks!

I am going to start painting my 66 Cuda. The body is in great shape with no rust to speak of and two small areas of bondo on rear quarters. Due to financial and time constraints I am thinking of working on those two areas and shooting on top of the existing paint. The car is currently white and I am painting it a light blue.

What grit should I use to sand the paint? 180? What primer(s) should I use. Evercoat metal glaze or an epoxy primer first than Evercoat? Or epoxy then filler primer than evercoat?

Basically what is the process of shooting over paint? What steps are there?

Thanks!

you will get a lot of different answers to this question ......I would use either 320 dry or 400 wet sandpaper to get it ready ....there should be no shiny spots where you sand ....

then I would spray an epoxy primer to seal in the old stuff ....then I would use filler or whatever (body work) ....then I would seal in the body work with another coat of epoxy.

then a 2 k primer and block it out ......then after blocking it out for final ...an additional coat of epoxy sealer is optional ....I always go case by case

then your final top paint whether it be single stage or BB

-
Back