Paint Quantity Question

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I am really close to being able to start painting the exterior of my 71 Dart project. I have done some test panels, as much to see if I like the color as to get some surfaces covered conveniently. My question is . . . . how much paint do I need to get in order to make sure I have plenty to finish the job? As recap for what I have done/intend to do
- Interior is done
- Underside of car is done
- Vinyl roof to be installed so I don't plan to paint the roof above the trim line (surfaces have been stripped and epoxy applied)
- Need to paint jams, inside of hood and trunk lid, inside of engine compartment, inside of fenders, outside of engine compartment, outside of valence panels, outside of all exterior body panels
- I am using a single stage paint that mixes 8:1:1 with hardener and reducer, so there is not a lot of final product volume gain through mixing.
- I want to apply at least 3 coats to make sure there is plenty to cut and buff.

Anything that I am overlooking? Thanks! L8r

Jim

From what I've learned about it, you have to consider the primer/sealer color. Then, I would use a paint panel sample to determine how many base coats to use to get complete coverage. Also, it takes a final coat to make sure the metallics are distributed correctly or you will see blotches in the finish. 3 coats of clear, flashed out between each coat at a minimum.

I saw 2 gallons as a suggestion. I used 3 but I did the roof and the undercarriage as well.

Just my experience.

Cheers!!

Final Result.

1691425760479.png

1691425789782.png

Last edited:
From what I've learned about it, you have to consider the primer/sealer color. Then, I would use a paint panel sample to determine how many base coats to use to get complete coverage. Also, it takes a final coat to make sure the metallics are distributed correctly or you will see blotches in the finish. 3 coats of clear, flashed out between each coat at a minimum.

I saw 2 gallons as a suggestion. I used 3 but I did the roof and the undercarriage as well.

Just my experience.

Cheers!!

Final Result.

View attachment 1716124489

View attachment 1716124490

Thanks for the reply! No clear, underside is done and no metallics. I am spraying the 71 Mopar color Lemon Twist over white sealer. In the areas/panels I have already painted, I used three coats and it covered and flowed out really well.

50 gallons would cover it and have some leftover for any needed touch-up later...

Not a paint expert, but my friend is, and I have done a few over the years. Anyways, my friend would recommend 2 & 1/2 gallons, mix it all together and then re-can it before you start. If you have a little left over in a quart can, you save for future touch up repair and you'll be glad you have it.

I've been painting cars for 40 years. For what you are planning to do, I'd get 2 gallons. If you are an expert painter and have a really good gun with a high transfer rate, you could get by with less. However, you plan to cut and buff. Plus, if you have about a quart of the SAME paint you painted the car with left over, that could come in VERY handy. I always try to have about a quart left. I think 3 gallons will be way too much for your plans, but 2 gallons will be plenty.

With a mix ratio of 8:1:1 your paint is not going to go very far. I would get at least 2 1/2 gallons.

Thanks to all who replied. I decided to go with 2 gallons. Unfortunately, my supplier didn't have enough of one of the tints for 2 gallons. So now we wait!

Thanks to all who replied. I decided to go with 2 gallons. Unfortunately, my supplier didn't have enough of one of the tints for 2 gallons. So now we wait!
yep your not the only one depending on the color the tints are getting harder to get

-
Back