Paint question.

-

Badart

Reaction score
I am in the process of getting a 66 Fury III up and running to sell. I am going through the 440 and 727. Checking bearings and installing a new gasket set in the motor as well as clean it up and paint it. The 440 will look new when done. All of the lights are good and bumpers are in really good shape. Everything it there and I just need to put it together and I thought while it is apart I should go ahead and paint the car, jamb it and do the engine bay.

Before I bought the car some *** wipe decided to paint primer over the dark red metallic paint. The good news is the car is very solid and needs very little body work. I plan on taking it down to the factory finish in most places and smooth out dings. I have shot single stage paints in the past and I like how easy it is to shoot.

I am thinking about order all of my primers, paint and clear through summit. Is the summit brand paint any good? I plan on shooting this color, because it is fairly close to the factory color. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-UP341/ I plan on using their epoxy primer, 2K primer surfacer, base and clear. Through summit I will only be into it for about $350 for everything.

I was planning on getting around $2,000 before any paint and body work. How much do you think the car would be worth with decent paint? $3,500?

I am just trying to run some numbers in my head and don't want to do a ton of work for nothing.

Front.jpg

Panels.jpg

Ive never used Summits paint before but sounds like a good deal for $350.But if you are going with a metallic,I would atleast put a coat of clear on it in case you accidently run it and need to polish it out(ive been painting for years and still run paint every once in awhile,lol)But if you just plan on shooting it and selling it then single stage stage will be good.Im thinking $4000 with a nice decent,but not perfect paint job.Maybe more ,idk.

The picture was taken this winter, but the funny thing is that they are calling for 6"-10" tonight on the mountain benchs where I live.

Thanks for your help. I do plan on shooting clear on it also. I think that I will go ahead and do it and sounds like it will be well worth the work. Plus the car is in pieces right now anyway.

-
Back