Paint Question

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
My very faded but straight and solid 68 Barracuda is UU1 light metallic blue. Is that the same as B3 blue? It is so light, I have considered to changing it to turquoise. But, at a recent car show, I came across a real work of art. It was a 67 Barracuda with a 500 stroker motor and the rest was all custom. What caught my eye was the paint. Yep, UU1 light blue. But this one really shimmered. From what I could see, and based on my very limited knowledge, it appeared to have a great deal of metal flake? shot into the paint. At that point everyone in my family vetoed my color change plans and said if I could get the same effect, it would be the way to go...and I wouldn't have to change the paint inside and out (done it before and am in no hurry to repeat that ordeal). From what I've described, is that what the painter probably did, increased the amount of metal flake in the UU1 paint? Thanks in advance for any help. P.S. one of my brothers took pictures of the car and sent them to various email recipients. The shimmering effect of the metal flake just didn't come out in the pictures.

Probably.My guess ,it was done in basecoat/clearcoat.Occasionally,the car owner(or painter)will shoot the factory color(the basecoat),then do a mid coat clear.They sometimes mist a coat(or coats) of clear to add some extra shine/sparkle.Thenk,seal it off with more clear to seal it.(no pearl)

Thanks. That is kind of what I suspected. I have learned more from this forum, and saved myself a lot of headaches by asking these questions. Your answers were a bigger help than you know.

A good automotive paint supply can match your color with no issues. You can take the decklid and get them to shoot (PPG has Profit i think, something like a camera.) the bottom side for the correct color and they will mix it for you.

I noticed that with my WW1 white 68 Barracuda. It seems the 1968 colors were a bit different and unique compared to the other years. I thought it was just a different name, but it's a whole different color. this site is great for all the codes
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=Chrysler&rows=50
according to the ditzler/PPG code for your color it is unique to 1968 mopars.

-
Back