Paint question

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
My duster took some pipe to the roof fender and door. It's painted in a chameleon color that changes colors. How hard is this to blend and get to match? Insurance is wanting to blend. 2 body shops says gonna be hard to get to match.
Suggestions.
Go!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 431
360 Duster -Great Car! Paint it the original color.

Well..... Blending is how a repair like that is done most of the time. With that color, blending may not be an option.

If a total repaint is the only way to get a color match, that could total the car.

Painting the entire side may do it but you don't have a place to stop the clear so you would need to run your clear over the roof and down the other 1/4.

What others have said. Chameleon is impossible to blend. Its the nature of the paint, and the real bad thing about it.

They bid it at $2275 to blend it. The scratches cover 1/3 the roof. And also has some on pass door and fender. Says they "think" can be blended. But will work with Bodyshop. It's hagerty insurance. I hope they wouldn't total it. I just put the new 408 in it this last spring. Have some cash in it now. Lol
I've talked to 3 body shops. All said blending won't match. Hope it looks right when done. If be ok with painting it just a straight metallic green. Like a jade green.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 330
Well final insurance payment is $7600 to repaint my car. Prolly gonna paint it back to a solid green instead of the chameleon stuff. Any thoughts. Am looking at something like a jade green metallic or a green like on the 99 model Chevy Astor vans. Also wanting to put a factory stripe in either white or silver. Any thoughts?

That's a beautiful car! You did well with that settlement in my opinion. Just do whatever color floats your boat. Fresh paint on that car will look hot no matter what it is...as long as it works with the interior. :)

The best base coat/clear coat greens,were factory available, 91- to about 96-97( mixed paint,during the era.). I picked up a mismatch gallon of GM paint, (factory color) that had a close color flop/transfer ,to what you have in the photos. I have seen it,on the newer, SSR Chev trucks.
Trying to get close,for the O.P. ,gonna be a buggar to match( if he is a smart dude,ask his paint shop with a scanner....).

Tell your insurance agent to put it where the sun wont hit it, like others said it wont match

Glad I just had my car painted with solid color after reading this thread.

The color is pretty. But it's been a headache. It's going back to a solid color.
This stuff is $2300 per quart. Lol

Doing a complete repaint with a solid green like the b body above. Trying to figure out the color of it. Going away from the chameleon. Cost to much to fix. Will be cheaper and easier to just go with a single solid color.

Anything but chameleon can be blended. That's the bad thing about chameleon paint. Expensive to buy, and impossible to repair. Last place I worked at we did paint for aircraft, personal and public. Someone wanted their personal jet painted with chameleon paint, the red/blue change. We got in a 1 pint sample from a sister company, that cost us $350 for the pint, alone, not including the catalyst and thinner. Can you imagine paying for enough to paint a Lear of Cessna jet?

-
Back