Paint question

-

Josh owen

Bang em till it breaks
Reaction score
This may strike a cord with a few but I plan to fully restore this duster. But...part of me really wants it to stay as is.. Ichanged fenders so they need to be matched how hard ya think that would be? Or at that point would it be nearly the same to paint the whole car.... It's just old school cool hate to cover it..

Snapchat-786382099.jpg

20220922_212156.jpg

20220326_181811.jpg

Snapchat-1525474720.jpg

Red Oxide primer surfacer for the accent color.

Screenshot_20240502-162503_Gallery.jpg

Then have the paint mixing guys mix you up a match to your blue in Basecoat only... no clearcoat for the old original look.

Easy to paint that too.

20240502_165107.jpg

0719171907.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

I can't tell if it's the B5 that's extremely faded from Oklahoma sun or if they painted a different blue

That might be "Gun Metal Blue".

20200415_215357.jpg

Edit: Ooops think this color is called "Gun Metal Gray".

Mopar factory color in 1972.

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
This may strike a cord with a few but I plan to fully restore this duster. But...part of me really wants it to stay as is.. Ichanged fenders so they need to be matched how hard ya think that would be? Or at that point would it be nearly the same to paint the whole car.... It's just old school cool hate to cover it..

View attachment 1716244701

View attachment 1716244702

View attachment 1716244703

View attachment 1716244704
The fender that can be seen didn't look bad. I love the look of the day 2 cars. As found has character and there is a story in there somewhere. Once restored, it is gone and (I hate to say just another car) I would spend the time to try and save the fenders so they match. Or like mentioned, a paint shop should be able to get very close. Only your key fits, do as you wish that makes you happy and enjoy it.

I wish I knew what I wanted honestly. I have the 340 and 4 speed. I want to restore interior and everything mechanical but I love that look of the car fenders were really bad. Looked like farm equipment hit them multiple times had slices in them and bent in front. Car is cut for fender well headers so a small block set would be awesome if I keep it this way. Day 2 is where my heart is but I also know I want a very nice triple black duster as well. I can't decide before I strip it to bare metal or start re assembly

I wish I knew what I wanted honestly. I have the 340 and 4 speed. I want to restore interior and everything mechanical but I love that look of the car fenders were really bad. Looked like farm equipment hit them multiple times had slices in them and bent in front. Car is cut for fender well headers so a small block set would be awesome if I keep it this way. Day 2 is where my heart is but I also know I want a very nice triple black duster as well. I can't decide before I strip it to bare metal or start re assembly

That is the type of car I have the most interest in at car shows.
The shiny restored ones are boring.

Leave it - change the fender (who cares the color) and go full “Joe Dirt.”
I however do like the look. When I was in Highschool (tech school) a guy in the body shop for giggles buffed red primer after laying down like 4 coats. Buffed out to a beautiful flip flop purple/ red. He clear coated that nova and drove it for a few years. Young guy had skills- now he’s doing time at con- collage for hitting a cop with a car with a suspended license. We’re 54 now. So back in the 80’s.

The wheel package for the car is satin black 14x8 for the rear showing aftermarket axles in the center and 15x4 cragars or torque thrust on the front and that's the wheel combo no matter how the car is finished out but i look at it unfinished in the shop and think i should keep it as is. Gold on striping on it is cool to

Car now sports Green 70' valiant fenders, dark Green Hood with a 68' hemi dart scoop

Last edited:
Pain't the front clip semi gloss black. Reminiscent of the factory hemi cars. Redo your interior and clear the whole car.

My car is a true Mr Norms 1971 GSS Demon. 340 6pack. But I love the Day 2 and how I remember when my Dad owned it from the 70's and 80's, so it will stay as is despite the haters.

20221120_224650.jpg

Pain't the front clip semi gloss black. Reminiscent of the factory hemi cars. Redo your interior and clear the whole car.

My car is a true Mr Norms 1971 GSS Demon. 340 6pack. But I love the Day 2 and how I remember when my Dad owned it from the 70's and 80's, so it will stay as is despite the haters.

View attachment 1716244790
I have seen yours at mopars in the park. We go every year. I absolutely love your demon. That's my true dream car except a 4 speed and I would have to have the str-12 cross ram manifold but it's also perfect exactly how it is!

I have seen yours at mopars in the park. We go every year. I absolutely love your demon. That's my true dream car except a 4 speed and I would have to have the str-12 cross ram manifold but it's also perfect exactly how it is!
Thank you! We will be there again this year. Please make sure to stop and say HI. I Wanted a cross ram super bad, but the tunnel ram is what the factory would have used had they been able to. 2 friends have them also. The manual reverse pattern 727 is perfect for this car. My Charger build has 3 pedals though!

View attachment 1716244701

View attachment 1716244702

View attachment 1716244703

View attachment 1716244704

I have a hard time leaving this alone.
We have one modified and one not, and it’s sooo tempting to put a 4 barrel and a Wieand intake that I have on the yellow 72.
It’s a 2 barrel 318, single exhaust car.

73Dart.jpeg

72Dart.jpeg

-
Back