PAINT REMOVAL FROM CHROME BUMPER?

-

pa340dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Picked up a painted bumper at a local swap meet recently.
Does anyone know of the best/easy way to strip the paint off and preserve the finish of the bumper?
I want to see the condition of the chrome plating and not scratch it in the process.
Paint stripper? Heat Gun/Plastic Scraper?
Any ideas?
Thanks Tom

Picked up a painted bumper at a local swap meet recently.
Does anyone know of the best/easy way to strip the paint off and preserve the finish of the bumper?
I want to see the condition of the chrome plating and not scratch it in the process.
Paint stripper? Heat Gun/Plastic Scraper?
Any ideas?
Thanks Tom

Try easy-off oven cleaner.

Leave it on the paint until it starts to crinkle then scrape the paint off.

Thoroughly wash the bumper afterwards as anywhere the cleaner is present, it will continue to "work".

You may want to try a small section first as if the bumper was sanded to help paint adhesion, all this will be for nothing and a re-chrome is the only option.

1724336989810.png

Don't use chemicals. Get it soda blasted.

Darned if I know type of paint whole car was painted green
Grille bumpers etc
It’s in good shape nice and straight
Good for re chrome
Just want to remove the paint to judge condition of the chrome

IMG_8358.jpeg

Darned if I know type of paint whole car was painted green
Grille bumpers etc
It’s in good shape nice and straight
Good for re chrome
Just want to remove the paint to judge condition of the chrome

View attachment 1716293117
When I asked what kind of paint it was, my point was that if it's a cheap rattle can job, the work it takes to remove it would be much less than if it's an actual catalyzed automotive paint. Maybe try a spot with some acetone or lacquer thinner before you go nuts. You may get lucky.

Looks like it has a coat of gray primer under the green topcoat.

The question is did they sand the chrome with a DA sander prior to priming the bumper?

Aircraft Remover will get the paint off. Put it on heavy and let it wrinkle up. Scrape that off with a plastic spreader and do another application. The more you get off with the stripper, the less you will gouge the chrome.

FWIW I bought some vintage DC chrome valves off eBay that had two coats of engine paint, each different colors and looked it. I hit them with Easy Off follow by mothers metal polish and they came out like this:

PXL_20240504_180239163.jpg

Looks like it has a coat of gray primer under the green topcoat.

The question is did they sand the chrome with a DA sander prior to priming the bumper?

Aircraft Remover will get the paint off. Put it on heavy and let it wrinkle up. Scrape that off with a plastic spreader and do another application. The more you get off with the stripper, the less you will gouge the chrome.
FWIW I bought some vintage DC chrome valves off eBay that had two coats of engine paint, each different colors and looked it. I hit them with Easy Off follow by mothers metal polish and they came out like this:

View attachment 1716293160

Easy-off works great as a paint stripper plus it's much cheaper to buy!

For you scale modelers out there it strips paint off styrene too, without damaging the plastic. Thing is, you have to get the old school caustic stuff. Anything that says "friendly" or "safe" on the label doesn't work well at all. Of course, the caveat is gloves and a vapor mask as it will scorch your lungs. (yup, learned the hard way)

If they scuffed it with a scotch brite, you may be able to buff it back to life. If they used sandpaper then I'd probably be looking for a new bumper at AMD or something.

if they did scotch brite it or wet sand it they might have done you a favor if they weren't too aggressive. A good buff could make it look better than if they hadn't. They usually rust where they curve around the fenders or underneath. Soak some rags in lacquer thinner and lay them on the bumper. Let them sit for a while if it isn't real hot and sunny all the better. Remove the rags and wipe the bumper with lacquer thinner and see what you have to work with. I've had to do this before. Good Luck

Thanks for all the replies.
@mopowers no wise crack intended.
I will try acetone, lacquer thinner methods described by you and others above.
Easy off as my last resort (moderate copd) using correct PPE
Probably will go to Tri City in the future, but curious on the chrome's overall condition.
Thanks again

Keep us posted! If you go the re-chrome route, I'm curious what tri-city ends up charging. I've got a bumper I'm looking to have redone as well. Good luck!

-
Back