Paint scheme ???? Chrome trunk hinge cover.

-

Dfnsmn34

Margarita Mike
Reaction score
Aloha!

Ok so I've repainted all my badges and they look good (Plymouth, Barracuda etc) I noticed the trunk hinge (The large chrome piece that is at the bottom of the rear glass and hides the trunk hinges with the round medallion barracuda in the middle)

How is this painted (ORIGINALLY)?

From what I can see of the remaining paint. There was black in the large hatch marks separating the finned area. It also appears the bottom 1/2 inch of the chrome cover was black too.

Does anyone have a picture of this?

I started to paint mine and I did half...but it just does not look right....maybe looking at all that chrome without paint I've gotten use to the way it is....

Any Help would be great...I'll try and post picture when I can...

ALOHA!

Can't find a very good pic. A book I have shows the rear of a 64. It has a black area along both the top & bottom of the chrome piece. Hard to tell but the top section might actually be the outer section of the weatherstrip for the rear glass. Also looks like it has a black section across it between the top & bottom rows of fins as well as a black section between each set of fins. Does this make sense? I'll keep looking.

66 Rear Window Moulding.
Hope this helps.

CUDA TRIM.jpg

65Bcoda- Mahalo for posting! Did you paint those? If so what did you use for reference. Thats exactly what I'm looking for though...

I can't quite make it out. But the bottom drivers side piece. Starting from bottom, Painted then chrome, then painted. Meets the finned area (Chrome). Hatch/lines in between painted. Chrome, then painted top?

Aloha!

Make sense?

Flat Black or Semi-Gloss or Gloss?

Correct on the color scheme, the photo's I have are archived.

Roger

Thanks rick! can you show me the full set? or the other pieces too?

aloha and mahalo! MIke

this may help you.......

Hey Rick, are those NOS or repro's?

The NOS hinge covers I seen had a strip of black along the upper edge where it folds under the big center trim, basically a continuance of the black groves on the center and outer pieces.

Here is an NOS center trim.

3f_1_b.jpg

The black should be a satin/flat finish. Metalic blue around the fish.

Hey Rick, are those NOS or repro's?

The NOS hinge covers I seen had a strip of black along the upper edge where it folds under the big center trim, basically a continuance of the black groves on the center and outer pieces.

Here is an NOS center trim.

3f_1_b.jpg

The ones in my pic and the ones in 65BCODA's pics are reproduction pieces.

I just took a look at Dave Layson's '65 Cuda he has sitting in our customer showroom which I believe has the original pieces on it, and there is no other black paint on the hinge covers other than the wide black line across the bottom.

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT HELP FABO!

Looks like I got some prep work ahead of me to restore the factory finish.

Aloha and Mahalo!
Mike

I know this is an older thread, but I was just trying to paint my trim and the paint just made some bubbles and wouldn't stick to the chrome. Does anyone have experience how to best paint on chrome?

I know this is an older thread, but I was just trying to paint my trim and the paint just made some bubbles and wouldn't stick to the chrome. Does anyone have experience how to best paint on chrome?

Aloha. I didn't have an issue as I just used rattle can paint. Maybe there was wax or polish on it? Clean with rubbing alcohol to remove whatever maybe on there.

It's been 6 years now and the paint is flaking off the chrome. So if I do it again, I may try a light coat of a primer to help.

Mahalo

-
Back