Paint that looks like chrome?

-

grimreaper

Cross Member
Reaction score
Has anybody got a suggestion for a silver paint that actually looks reasonably shiny like chrome? Most of the paints that are sold as chrome are the "OLD ARMY SURPLUS ALUMINUM" silver. Ive got some vintage gauges that have chrome plated plastic rings that have yellowed and cracked. I'd like to paint them so the color is consistent and I will settle for the plain old silver if no one knows of a shinier option. Any ideas?

Thanks!

dupi? color makes some. it is a fizz can and I was impressed with the chrome look. let it dry a long time though.

check out INNATE.com i used thier hyper black on my duster. not too bad

Most Good hobby shops have chrome paint for models. It works awesome and comes in a spay can. Just make sure you don't get the chrome paint for lexan. It will turn out dull on plastic unless you paint it black first. It's the closest look of chrome I have found. The brand is spaz stix in the can form or alclad for airbrush use.

It is not perfect shine like chrome but pretty close.

007.JPG

There iss one called KIller Chrome. I haven't used it yet but the results are very good in the factory video. It is expensive though about $38.00

i did my entire cars chrome in innate's black chrome(hyper black). pricy but, oooh la la.

100_1124.jpg

First thing to do is get some Wesley Bleech-white and use it to hemical strip the plastic. Soak 3 days, rinse well. Go to alsa's website and study the application method of their Killer Chrome. It is dry sprayed over high gloss black, then buffed, and clear coated. The problem with you situation is sticker shock. From their Pla-stik primer to clear coat will cost over 160.00
and be much more paint than you need. Here's the thing though, you can get nearly the same results from "Worlds Finest Chrome In A Can" or similar by following the same Killer Chrome method of application. If you're not happy with the results just toss the parts back in the Bleech-White and start a plan B.
You might ignore all the above and go directly to plan B which is send the pieces to be replated. There is a member here that might do it for a reasonable price. Good luck

http://www.houseofkolor.com/hok/products/specialty.jsp

KOSMIC KROME® (MC SERIES)
Kosmic Krome® represents the application of revolutionary chemistry where platelets of metal can be created at smaller, more uniform sizes than ever before. When applied properly these platelets form a film that gives a chrome-like appearance. These films offer custom painters effects previously unavailable and open a wide array of possibilities for new colors when combined with other effect colors currently available. Kosmic Krome kustom metals are one of the latest effects for kustom painting. Not intended to be a total finish, but rather an additional tool for graphics or airbrush projects that need something unique. Available in a variety of colors that can bring a plated look to any project.

I have used it myself and it works great and looks exactly like chrome

kosmic-krome.jpg

Wow! Thanks for all of the info. Now I just have to decide which I want to try. May have to try a few on different projects.........

If your doing a dash or some other smaller items Allclad is a good in-expensive alternative. It's airbrushed over a gloss Black base coat and gives a VERY realistic Chrome finish. You'll find Allclad through various Model Car related hobby shops or suppliers.

-
Back