Paint touch up suggestions for cardboard headliner 75 Dart Swinger

-

Batesy

Reaction score
I have one of those cardboard headliners. It's actually in surprisingly good shape. However, it has some scratches in it (see pic below) and I was pondering finding some appropriate paint and just touching it up. Anyone ever try this? If so, what type of paint did you use? Any and all suggestions welcome. If I come up with a winner I think I will do the entire back window board too. Many thanks in advance.
image_zps316ecb65.jpg

The only way it will look close to right is to take it out, clean it, try and smooth the scratches as best you can and repaint the whole thing, in my opinion.

If you do go that route be extremely cautious when taking it out as they are brittle with age.

First off a couple of things, if you just spray paint over the scratches they will still show a lot lol, just look at mine! Anyways, if the headliner has never been out of your car be prepared to have all of the sound/heat insulation all over the car, there is like 3 rows of the crap that will make one hell of a mess out of the interior. On the bright side your build sheet should be up there. Last thing, if you are going to go through all the trouble of pulling the trim and crap out to pull the headliner to paint it, just save your self a headache and buy a new ABS plastic one. I should have done that.....

http://www.dantesparts.com/abodymolded.html

I did paint mine in place with Krylon Fusion paint. I had the interior out at the time working on the floors and noticed everytime I touched the top it was sprinkling me with paint dust. I just brushed the loose stuff off and sprayed it. Took a few coats. Definitely improved it, but not very good at hiding problem areas. I plan to replace at some point in the future.

I just called Dante's. The uncovered one can be used as-is, but is only available in black. He said it is nice to do them with windows out, but not necessary. They are fairly flexible and are shipped 'partially rolled'.

My suggestion is that you replace it entirely if you're engaged in a thorough rebuild.

There are lots of options available from various suppliers. The headliner on my car was ripped so I had one made in alcantara to match the leather interior. I'm happy with the result but at nearly € 100/m2 it was expensive..

Attachments

• DSC02912.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC02919.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 1093932_512736045473098_1053393725_o.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 140
-
Back