Painted Bumpers!!

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Just my imput!
Hi guys, I never could really afford to get my bumpers re-chromed for 800.00 a pair. For a few years I lived with that high heat silver motor paint that got me by. I guess it looked kinda fine.
Today I felt they both needed re-painting, so I bought and used the new "Dupi-color" chrome spray. I was told it was the next best thing out for a chrome look spray.

I'm really quite impressed with how it turned out and thought I would pass on the pics of how it looks on the bumpers. The "more" coats even gives it a shinier look. I have about four on. You can even see your reflection!

Any comments?

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG

You bet it looks good!
I thought your car looked awsome, even before you painted the bumpers.
When you have $$, I can get you the address of a plater in Sask. that will chrome plate the bumpers at nearly 1/2 that price, I've used them for the rear bumper ($225.Can.), you do have to pay for shipping, I used a bus line for shipping.

Thanks for the comments. Hope it also helps someone.

Can't find a number, but here's the can!

DSCF0002.JPG

Paint is a nice alternative for those of us that have bumpers with dings and dents. Allows one to use a little filler to correct these problems after the bumper has been preped for paint. My pocketbook is not deep enough to get my bumpers straightened and chromed. Howard

Wow Jimmy boy! You made them look real good.:cheers:
Thank's I will remember that paint, You had to have good paint application
skills to make them look that good.
I would say good paint and good application.:-D

Looks good, what kind of prep did you do? What grit did you use or just wipe them with acetone? Walt :cheers:

I just ruff scuffed the old silver colour paint with 800G then just tacked it...but four years ago, if I remember correctly I used about about 120G on the ugly pitted chrome "all over" so the paint would hold (and it did very well). Think I used one can for each bumpper to get a good base. And yes, I would think acetone would work very well.

PS Dupi-color now has a spray primer out that's made for a "chrome" surface to hold the paint on.

That's about all I can tell ya! ...because that's all me knows mate!

I painted mine as well...but I used Eastwood's Argent Silver on mine. I like the painted look. I even painted my tail light bezels to match the bumpers. Yours look great with the new paint job.

You bet it looks good!
I thought your car looked awsome, even before you painted the bumpers.
When you have $$, I can get you the address of a plater in Sask. that will chrome plate the bumpers at nearly 1/2 that price, I've used them for the rear bumper ($225.Can.), you do have to pay for shipping, I used a bus line for shipping.
I am interested in your Saskatoon chrome plater for my A-Body bumpers ('66 Dart & '66 Canadian Valiant.) Could I get the information to contact them?
Thanks!

Robert K. (66dartsguy: [email protected])

Have you tried adding a clear coat to the top? It would be worth trying on a spare part, say 3-4 coats of the 'chrome' and a couple coats of clear. worth a try...eh ( i threw that in for the Canadian audiance... in Alabama we'd say, 'whudda y'all think?'

Pretty cool. I painted mine body color...now I wonder if they would not look good like that :). Mine are glass also.

-
Back