Painted Roof. Who has one?

-

highwayhooligan

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
I am repainting my car and wanted to do the roof a different color than the body.

I would like to ask if some of the members here who have painted roofs (not vinyl roofs) could post some pictures of how the trim is done where the roof paint line meets the body paint line.

I've seen some cars with chrome trim (what I would like to do) and some cars with just a pinstripe. It would be even better if someone with a 4-door Valiant could post a picture, but at this point, I'm willing to look at anything.

Thanks!

some of the sweptlines(64-71) had it. on mine im gonna take the vinal top off and paint it and put the trim back on in the same place so it will look vinal and hen i get the moo-lah i can put the vinal back on

My '70 was bronze body and gut with white painted top.

:worthles:

I have pics on another thead but I have no clue how to move them.

Well, the paint on mine isn't that great, but it has the top painted white (originally had a white vinyl top, a PO removed it and painted it). You can see that they just left the trim on it, although one piece is missing on the side...

IMG_3608.jpg

This is a 74 Dart 4 door. Originally had a vinyl top, but it is sort of painted now :roll:

Shows what the factory trim looks like.

a%20pillar%20trim%20feb%202009.JPG

c%20pillar%20trim%20feb%202009.JPG

not a great pic for detail but here is mine anyway

100_2125.jpg

i'm planning on painting my sedan gunmetal with a white roof. here's a picture of a car i think is already in this thread:

1966valiant100121107.jpg

Thanks for all the pictures.

My biggest question was about where I was going to start/stop the paint.

Do I paint the 'A' pillars the same color as the roof or the body? Now that I have seen all these pictures, I realize the best way to go is paint the 'A' pillars the same color as the roof.

Thanks for all the pictures.

My biggest question was about where I was going to start/stop the paint.

Do I paint the 'A' pillars the same color as the roof or the body? Now that I have seen all these pictures, I realize the best way to go is paint the 'A' pillars the same color as the roof.

Until you asked this question I had never noticed that some start at the cowl and some start at the top of the A-pillar (like mine).
I think that the top of the A-pillar looks convertiblish.

Wonder why there are so many different ways it was done? Maybe it depends on the year??

The other thing to think about is what color to paint the lip under the drip rail. The only place it really shows is the leading edge of the C pillar.

On my vinyl top car, it was blue like the rest of the body, but I think it looks better in white to match the painted roof.

Until you asked this question I had never noticed that some start at the cowl and some start at the top of the A-pillar (like mine).
I think that the top of the A-pillar looks convertiblish.

Wonder why there are so many different ways it was done? Maybe it depends on the year??

Yeah... I'm not sure what the deal is with that.

It certainly throughs you for a loop though when you're trying to figure out how to do it.

-
Back