Painting a Shark tooth grille

-

jabdusty57

Reaction score
I've read of other members that haven done this a LOT faster, but my hands and my eyes don't work anything like they used to. This took me three full days just to tape. Between fixing the cracks, reconstructing tabs, sanding, taping and painting, this grille is a big time eater. At least I picked a good winter for inside projects.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 324
Looks like you have some time just in the taping!! You could also look into a product called liquid mask. A lot of hobby painters use it. Brush it on and let it dry. When you want to peel sections up you cut it with a hobby knife and it peels up like a skin. Anyway, keep the progress pics coming!

I know the feeling, mine wasn't as tough as a Shark Tooth but it was mind numbing enough!! I'd like to know how the factory did these because it sure as heck couldn't have been like this. Looks like its going to turn out nice, good luck.

Attachments

• Dart Grille.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 274
..spray the complete fin area black and Let dry. Tape every fin individually and spray everything argent grey (Mopar muscle wheel paint).
When dry remove tape from each black fin....8 hours to mask the fins and 5 hours removing it.
...i don't restore and paint these grills anymore.

I know the feeling, mine wasn't as tough as a Shark Tooth but it was mind numbing enough!! I'd like to know how the factory did these because it sure as heck couldn't have been like this. Looks like its going to turn out nice, good luck.

That's an awesome looking bezel!

..spray the complete fin area black and Let dry. Tape every fin individually and spray everything argent grey (Mopar muscle wheel paint).
When dry remove tape from each black fin....8 hours to mask the fins and 5 hours removing it.
exactly the way I did it (and about the amount of time it took me to mask it, too). It's a lot easier to spray the black first and mask that than the other way around.

...i don't restore and paint these grills anymore.

I thought about this method and probably in retrospect, it would have been the better way to do it. But I was concerned about the black showing through when I start getting those inevitable paint chips.

-
Back