Painting advice

-

Tad

Reaction score
I just recently finished painting the exterior of my Dart. It was the first time I had ever painted a car and I learned a lot. I’m curious with how to go about painting the inside of a car. Is the prep of the metal on the inside as important as the outside? Just thinking about tight spots like between the rear quarter panels and the trunk drop downs and the floor of the car. What’s the best way and how do you prep these areas for primer and paint? Is it the same as the exterior? Thank you in advance.

wanted to add this, a lot of the panels on the back including the trunk floor the quarter panels the tail panel are all new and have the black EDP coding on them. Does this need to be removed?

Last edited:
Spray the jams and trunk with super clean/Purple bottle if you have oil or grease on the hinges. only oily and greasy areas and rinse thoroughly. Then blow dry. Scuff with auto body scuff pad. Wipe and dry with a paint prep wash off. Blow everything out again and paint.

Reverse mask all edges if your spraying next to where your exterior color is if spraying the exterior color so you don't see a paint edge.

If you are spraying the inner doors black or another color then the exterior Tape the edge you want i/8 inch off the edge you desire. I use fineline tape you can use what you want for the edge to continue your masking on the desired paint edge. This way you can peel just the edge off before the paint completely dries . this prevents the paint from peeling with the tape. I usually do the jams first but there are times I do james for others that buy cars with the jams a different color. Good luck and have fun. Nothing like seeing the results of your work . Painting is a good example of seeing your accomplishments. I love Painting. Just not the tape work so I have Todd do that.

DSCN0999.JPG

DSCN1000.JPG

DSCN1240.JPG

DSCN1241.JPG

DSCN1005.JPG

DSCN1006 (2).JPG

DSCN1231 (2).JPG

A good paint job is 90% preparation & 10% execution, whether it's the outside of the car or the interior area. Take your time & make sure to sand as many of the little nooks & crannies as possible. The more time you take, the better the results & the happier you will be when you are asked who painted you car. If your are having problems reaching an area, get creative. Use a small stick or pointer to reach into those corners, use a sponge with your sand paper to conform to curves & odd shaped areas.

Spray the jams and trunk with super clean/Purple bottle if you have oil or grease on the hinges. only oily and greasy areas and rinse thoroughly. Then blow dry. Scuff with auto body scuff pad. Wipe and dry with a paint prep wash off. Blow everything out again and paint.

Reverse mask all edges if your spraying next to where your exterior color is if spraying the exterior color so you don't see a paint edge.

If you are spraying the inner doors black or another color then the exterior Tape the edge you want i/8 inch off the edge you desire. I use fineline tape you can use what you want for the edge to continue your masking on the desired paint edge. This way you can peel just the edge off before the paint completely dries . this prevents the paint from peeling with the tape. I usually do the jams first but there are times I do james for others that buy cars with the jams a different color. Good luck and have fun. Nothing like seeing the results of your work . Painting is a good example of seeing your accomplishments. I love Painting. Just not the tape work so I have Todd do that.

View attachment 1715569621

View attachment 1715569622

View attachment 1715569627

View attachment 1715569628

View attachment 1715569631

View attachment 1715569632

View attachment 1715569633
I just added this to the original post but wasn’t sure if you would see it. The rear end is pretty much all new metal and isEDP coded. Do I need to remove this coding before painting?

I just recently finished painting the exterior of my Dart. It was the first time I had ever painted a car and I learned a lot. I’m curious with how to go about painting the inside of a car. Is the prep of the metal on the inside as important as the outside? Just thinking about tight spots like between the rear quarter panels and the trunk drop downs and the floor of the car. What’s the best way and how do you prep these areas for primer and paint? Is it the same as the exterior? Thank you in advance.

wanted to add this, a lot of the panels on the back including the trunk floor the quarter panels the tail panel are all new and have the black EDP coding on them. Does this need to be removed?
the edp coat stays on acts like a sealer just scuff it when it comes to the interior floor & trunk floor I just paint them with a brush no one sees them

-
Back