Painting engine in engine bay?

-

ethan santin

Buck eye jim you gotta go
Reaction score
Hey FABO,

Im lazy, plain and simple, I want the top end of the engine to just look a little better but im not gonna pull it to detail the whole thing. Is it worth it? Or am I just gonna give my self a head ache trying to mask everything? What would be the best way of going about painting it in the engine bay? Im sorry, I know this is a stupid question but Ive just been thinking about it.

Thanks for reading my dumb post.
Ethan

Ethan, It’s not a dumb post or question.
If you have access to a good pressure washer like a heated one, clean it the best you can. Even a car wash will work just not as well.
Spray it down with a degreaser first.

Protect the items you don’t want painted and go for it. It will most likely look better afterwards than now but, we need photos before and after.

Enjoy cleaning it up.

Castrol super clean and hot pressure washer works wonders

Slant 6?
SB
BB

Masking tape, aluminum foil and a good quality spray bomb make the end result nicer. I've done several in the car. Paint prep is the main determinant of how well it comes out.

20210905_202505.jpg

Clean well, sand/scuff, I used POR-15 (self-levels) and a brush/two coats. Took off carb. Super tedious especially from underneath (used a shortened brush). Has held up for four years. I had someone else spray the valve covers.

IMG_1253.jpeg

If you can find a local with laser cleaning equipment. It looks like it does an amazing job of cleaning paint/grease/etc

Hey FABO,

Im lazy, plain and simple, I want the top end of the engine to just look a little better but im not gonna pull it to detail the whole thing. Is it worth it? Or am I just gonna give my self a head ache trying to mask everything? What would be the best way of going about painting it in the engine bay? Im sorry, I know this is a stupid question but Ive just been thinking about it.

Ethan
Join the club on trying to do things the easy way. It is a bit of work, but certainly easier than pulling the engine. @coloradohill, @413 and @jbc426 beat me to the gun in telling you the importance of getting the engine CLEAN. Now I am going to tell you how important it is to mask. Overspray will get everywhere. you can easily do it in one weekend. Post pictures of the finished product.

Not dumb at all. Lots of people have done it. If you take your time and pay attention to details, like masking everything you don't want paint or over spray on, you can make it turn out good.

Lol, if you're lazy and you know it....leave it alone. Good prep takes time and bad prep makes more work and wet electronics (points, cap) are unforgiving. Just my 2 cents.

Hey FABO,

Ethan
Oh and do yourself a big favor and paint it body color. I was in a hurry to put my newly rebuilt engine in and at the last minute decided to paint the engine compartment. I prepped it and painted it rattle can gloss black. It turned out pretty good but I still catch crap from the Mopar crowd about it. :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:

engine 296.jpg

Oh and do yourself a big favor and paint it body color. I was in a hurry to put my newly rebuilt engine in and at the last minute decided to paint the engine compartment. I prepped it and painted it rattle can gloss black. It turned out pretty good but I still catch crap from the Mopar crowd about it. :BangHead: :BangHead: :lol:

View attachment 1716305230
Black!!!!! hahahahahaha :BangHead:
OK so now you have to paint the rest of the car BLACK!!!!!!!!
:poke::poke::poke::poke:

Castrol super clean and hot pressure washer works wonders
If you do this and it's not clean enough for you. Just drive it around a few days and go do it again. It will be cleaner the next time.

Also know the super clean will not be kind to aluminum, it will mark it up and etch it.

Black!!!!! hahahahahaha :BangHead:
OK so now you have to paint the rest of the car BLACK!!!!!!!!
:poke::poke::poke::poke:
That's what I tell everybody at shows and cruises. Those 66's do look sexy black.

-
Back