Painting Headers

-

dustermaniac

Reaction score
I will be removing my Hooker Headers and wire brushing the rust and cleaning them up to paint. I purchased a can of Rust Oleum High heat 2000 degrees paint. I was wondering on what would be the best way to repaint these headers and if the paint I purchased is proper for this application. I will be cleaning em down with mineral spirits and degreasing em, even though they do not appear to have much grease on them. I will be using a high heat primer on them before I paint the top coat. Do I need to bake the headers after initial painting? I do not want to have to take these off again and repaint em and am hoping I can get some assistance on the proper way to refinish these headers so that the paint actually does not bake off in a month or two. Thanks for the help. -maniac

what i did this last time I had them off was to wire brush the inside of the tubes the best I could with a wire type baby bottle brush - going as deep as I could . I then sprayed them with some VHT ceramic heat paint.Once they were totally dry I threw them on the BBQ on medium heat for an hour on each side (they were very tasty at this point) then when cooled I did the same thing to the outside with the ceramic coating as the primer then used the grill and stove paint (black) over the ceramic and baked again a little slower and for a longer time . I just put them in and don't have any real running time on them but so far so good.

i've heard of people hanging them and heating each tube with a blow torch before applying paint, whether or not it works i don't know...

-
Back