Pairing Up Balanced Torque Converter w Flex Plate

-

Dodge72

Odd one out
Reaction score
72 Dart, LA 360, 904.

We installed the trans and engine into the car at the same time, just hooked up the bellhousing bolts. Went to go install the flex plate to torque converter bolts.... And the weight on the torque converter made it unable to spin to match up the holes as it hit the corners of the flex plate when trying to turn it. Is this normal? I just want to make sure that it doesn't mean the TC is not all the way in. The TC is a stock replacement by the way. Thanks for the help, sounds like I'm splitting the two apart tomorrow to match up the flex plate. Fun stuff!

Flexplate installed with offset proper direction?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this? The flex plate only fit on the crank one way, with the recess or concave of the flex plate facing the engine block if that makes sense. The other way had no way of lining up.

I know you have to spin the converter a bit to get it to drop all the way onto the tranny. I learned that the hard way as a kid. Almost sound like that.

Being overly cautious, I'd pull the trans, remove the converter, look at the converter end, and check for damage. Then I'd look into the trans converter hole and check the pump 'ears' for damage. Push the converter in and line up the ears. The converter should end up about 1/2'' deeper than the front face of the trans. A wooden wedge between the ring gear and lower side of the trans should keep it in place.

Check the flexplate for straightness by rotating the crank. They can be bent with a bar while in the car. --- .005 to .010 is ok.

I'd be concerned the TQ isn't all the way seated into the transmission. Fast way to break things.

I would suspect it would be binding and being not be able to turn it then if it wasn’t seated. The weight may be welded in the wrong place as in there is high and low spots on the converter and the weight may be on the high spot and should be in the low spot. The weight should not be out farther than the pads. If it is it is wrong. I am correct in thinking that u can turn the converter back and forth? Kim

Get the converter ALL THEY WAY INTO THE PUMP or you will kill the thrust main as soon as it starts.

You should have to pull the converter 3/8 inch or more to get the converter up to the flex plate. I can't remember the exact number but that's at least the minimum.

The converter, when it's fully into the pump will almost hit the case on the backside of the converter.

When we installed the TC, we did spin it to get it on there and heard a nice 'clunk' when installing it. It's entirely possible that it moved when we went to marry the two then drop both in at the same time. I went under to take a few quick pictures .

20191230_115054.jpg

Here's the converter and flex plate, and the converters big weight.

20191230_115111.jpg

Side profile to try and convey that the weight is preventing the flex plate from turning all the way. And yes, the two would spin freely of each other if the weight wasn't there.

And for some reason it won't let me upload it, but the converter is in more than 1/2" than the end of the bellhousing. I'll try to upload it.

Yeah, the converter either did not go back all the way on original installation, or it slid forward some when yall moved stuff around putting it all together and in. It's not back as far as it needs to go. I've gotten luck a time or two and messed with them without taking it all back apart and gotten it in but only a couple of times.

When they are all the way back, there is about 1" from the teeth on the TC from the bell housing.

Well I'm an idiot lol.

In our tired and frustrated state when we put the drive train in, nobody double checked that the flex plate was on correctly. It needed to be flipped around as nothing lined up. The TC was seated all the way. So we needed up dropping the trans, removing the flexplate, marking it up, and getting the trans back in the car. It all spun freely and got it all torqued down. One less thing to do... Lol thanks guys.

You are not an idiot. You asked the correct questions. And you fixed it before destroying something. You are smarter than the average bear.

-
Back