Parallel 4 link in A body setups....

-

ratbastad

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering f any members here have done this install?

What Im referring to are not the triangulated 4 link setups nor the street rod type non adjustable parallel bars.

Im referring to parallel adjustable 4 link setups; in particular, those that have had the floorpans modded at the front to allow clearance for brackets that allow adjustability at the bar's front mounting position for IC adjustments.

I dont see any other way that an adjustable front mount for a proper 4 link can be had unless the floorpan is modded to allow for a taller bracket/mounting holes.

I was wondering if any members here have installed these in an A body and if so had pictures they could share?

Thanx in advance fellas......

Hey guys, I was wondering f any members here have done this install?

What Im referring to are not the triangulated 4 link setups nor the street rod type non adjustable parallel bars.

Im referring to parallel adjustable 4 link setups; in particular, those that have had the floorpans modded at the front to allow clearance for brackets that allow adjustability at the bar's front mounting position for IC adjustments.

I dont see any other way that an adjustable front mount for a proper 4 link can be had unless the floorpan is modded to allow for a taller bracket/mounting holes.

I was wondering if any members here have installed these in an A body and if so had pictures they could share?

Thanx in advance fellas......

look no further than the first couple of pages of my build thread. (post twenty-eight)
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=135839&page=2

I have HemiDenny made 4-bar / 4/link.
right now...for street use I have it configured as an equal length (appox 21") parallel four bar which allows the Duster to roll thru the corners easier than when it triangulated....like a 4-link. I am NOT referring to the triangulation that keeps the rear centered without a panard bar or watts link. The bars can be easily configured to a 32", 36" or 40" 4-link with an appox 8" instant center.....for the drag racing senerio.

the 4- bar set-up I am working on building would be parallel , equal length, and triangulated for centering without panard, ect. ....no floor mod, bolt or weld on chassis....weld on rear brackets, shocks behind the axle.

the REASON for equal length bars is it keeps the pinion angle much more constant thru suspension travel.

I like your thinkin.
Denny

Yep - Ive studied your build thread Denny its awesome !!

The thing is - your car is backhalved whereas mine is'nt so Ill have to mod the floorpan under the rear seat for clearance for the upper bar mounts/adjusters.

Not rocket science mind you and easy enough to do, I may have to also notch the floor pan near the adjuster for bar clearance but its no biggie.

My X member will be of tubular design and incorporate a tailshaft loop. My other challenge will be to get the 3" exhaust thru there although I will be moving the bars as close to the chassis rails as is practicable for better stability and to allow more room for the exhaust.

The ends are chrome moly greasible/adjustable/rebuildable Delrin bushed spherical rod ends that supposedly are not as harsh as heims but allow some compliance and good articulation as well as being rebuildable.

We'll find out when its hits the roads ;)

Do you have any specific pics of the front mounts /bars as they lay out in the car/chassis?

Thx !!

it can be done without the back half. The set-up I am building will be with STOCK rear. A builder with my K has the layout in his Dart I plan to incorporate...it is nice. Just need a few more HDK tweeks.

you are right...the challenge will be the BFE ...big f**king exhaust.

I had heims.....too harsh...but for drag strip, the only way you should go
had poly ......still too harsh
now I have rubber bushed ends from Detroit Speed and Engineering ....only on the rear 4....A-Ok, but sometime I will try the front attachments also...should be very soft with all eight!

pics on the thread link show all of mine. I have the cardboard pattern for the brackets in my files. They were done on a Bridgeport mill.....before laser cutting

Yep thanx Dennny.

Interesting you found the ride still hard with poly. When you say harsh, how do you mean exactly?

As far as bar angles go, there will be adjustability for street or track - the front plates have been laser cut, I may or or may not fab my own for the rear housing as I have a plasma cutter.

Yeah, next week i will have to nut out how to do this and run the first pair of mufflers/exhaust thru there. If I cant get a set of mufflers in there, than I will fab a pressure wave termination box before the rear end and add a pair of mufflers after the rear end at the back of the car as the fuel tank is in the trunk.

Decisions decisions..... :banghead:

Let me illusrate the heim/poly/ rubber ends this way

Strike a hammer to a 1/4" steel plate (Heim)
Strike a hammer to a 1/4" thick hard plastic (poly)
Strike a hammer to a 1/4" thick rubber

On a street car it is nice to have that little bit of give or cushion in the rear.....like having solid, poly, or rubber spring eye bushings.

I too was surprised of how the poly bushed felt....I expected more give, but looking at how they are utilized elsewhere....for little flex...it makes sense

My experience....for my ride I like the rubber bushed.

Your suspension and chassis feels the difference between rubber and poly the same way as your posterior.....The 4 link for my rally car rear axle (the eternal build project) are rubber up front with heims in the rear; some give is needed somewhere for the inevitable hits to rocks, holes, etc.

Yeah, next week i will have to nut out how to do this and run the first pair
of mufflers/exhaust thru there. If I cant get a set of mufflers in there, than
I will fab a pressure wave termination box before the rear end and add a pair
of mufflers after the rear end at the back of the car as the fuel tank is in the
trunk.
Denny replaced his original Bullet Race Mufflers (way too loud) with Flowmaster
40's. Here they are, going "uphill". They fit good and they sound just right.

[URL="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/OLDMOPAR/2014-1/DSC_0079_zps8b2758ff.jpg"][URL="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/OLDMOPAR/2014-1/DSC_0079_zps8b2758ff.jpg"][URL="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/OLDMOPAR/2014-1/DSC_0079_zps8b2758ff.jpg"][URL="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/OLDMOPAR/2014-1/DSC_0079_zps8b2758ff.jpg"][URL="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/OLDMOPAR/2014-1/DSC_0079_zps8b2758ff.jpg"][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Hmmm interesting.

Looking at those front bar mounts - is there a cross member going from left to right that the drilled bar brackets are welded to?

Or are the bar brackets mounted to the side of the frame rails without that X member?

Hard to see.....

post 28
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=135839&page=2

I built the entire rear subframe outside the car....so it could be fully tig welded with ease....then bolted it in at the rear spring hangers and thru a bracket in the trans cross-over. From there it was fully tig welded to the body

designed and built (not welded) by me.....never had a lesson either! (Farris Bueller)

-
Back