Park Lights '67 Dart

-

67yelodart

Reaction score
Hello all,
When i pull my light switch out half way i have park lights,when i pull it out all the way the park lights go out.It this normal? or do i need to trouble shoot?
i have not seen this before on any car.
Thanks
Clark

Only the front park lamps go off . the rear ones stay on. Thats a one year only set up. There are threads here about wiring mods to make the front lamps stay on.

They did some strange things. In 68 when they first added the hood mounted turn indicaters, they chose to leave the bulbs out of those indicaters in the instrument panel. By mid year they realized that was a mistake. Too many owners came back wanting to know why those didn't work. You would be hard pressed to find a 68 that doesn't have those 2 bulbs in them today.

That must be a Dart thing cuz my 67 fish front and rear parking lights stay on with headlights on. Strange.

somebody re wired your car since the first the front parking lights stay on is 1969

Hello all,
When i pull my light switch out half way i have park lights,when i pull it out all the way the park lights go out.It this normal? or do i need to trouble shoot?
i have not seen this before on any car.
Thanks
Clark

This is normal for a '67 Dart. Mine's identical.

From Valiant.org ...

Chris North wrote:

Up until 1968, it was standard for the parking lights on US cars to go off when the headlights were turned on (in 68, a whole slew of regulations on lights were enacted). Prior to 1968, although it was not required that the parking lights go out when the headlights were turned on, it was the general rule. The Plymouth Barracuda broke that rule. There may have been other cars that did the same, I do not know.
The early Barracuda had a special dash wiring harness that put a jumper between the tail light terminal and the parking light terminal on the plug that attaches to the headlight switch.This made the parking lights stay on when the headlights were turned on. The easiest way to get this modified for your valiant is to remove the headlight switch and solder a jumper wire between the "P" and "R" terminals on your headlight switch.

I ran into this problem when I had to swap out the dash wiring harness on my 65 Barracuda (it had been "modified" by a previous owner). I got a dash harness out of a 65 Valiant and found out that the parking lights no longer stayed on when the head lights were turned on. I spent several hours of swapping harnesses trying to figure out what the problem was.

They did some strange things. In 68 when they first added the hood mounted turn indicaters, they chose to leave the bulbs out of those indicaters in the instrument panel. By mid year they realized that was a mistake. Too many owners came back wanting to know why those didn't work. You would be hard pressed to find a 68 that doesn't have those 2 bulbs in them today.

I hated those fender mounted indicators. I had them on a 72 Dart. I can't tell you how many times I jammed my fingers on them when washing or waxing the car. I always swore I would take them off if I were to ever get the car painted....sadly..it got totalled.

I hated those fender mounted indicators. I had them on a 72 Dart. I can't tell you how many times I jammed my fingers on them when washing or waxing the car. I always swore I would take them off if I were to ever get the car painted....sadly..it got totalled.

Well, that's ONE way to fix the problem. :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Hmmmmmm... I'll have to go check again to see what my car does. I guess it doesn't really matter, I won't change it anyway.

So I rechecked my lights and they do stay on with the headlights on both the 67 and 69 Barracuda's. I guess the Darts were different.

-
Back