Parking Brakes w/automatics

-
Mine are hooked up & working in 65. Had to use E-brakes last fall, was on Summit Ave in St Paul came around a corner and brake peddle came apart from MC, went right to the floor. Fortunately I was only going about 25mph and able to pull to side while pulling on E-brake. Could have been a disaster had I been on freeway going 60 and suddenly no brakes. Now I know whey they called them E-brakes back then with the old MC and they have become parking brakes in todays cars. Fixed brake peddle so that will never happen again!!!! YIKES

I had re-used the original brake pedal bolt & I didn't realize that it had worked it's self loose after a couple of summers, it just fell out, like I said it could been a lot worse. I replaced with a pin with a couple of clips on it so it can't back out. (plus now I'm going to check it once in awhile just to be sure)

Yeah mine work. I try the keep everything about the 67 in working order.
My daily driver 96 Camry, now that's different story. A whole list of stuff there. I haven't been able to open that right rear door for several years. Go figure.

I use my e-brake all the time. I normally warm my car up in neutral with the e-brake on since the converter drains back....

Glad to see you're working to hook yours up too!

It works on every vehicle I own, it a pet-peeve of mine, you never know when you will need it. Most of my vehicles are stick shift so its a must.
I have one automatic car a 97 stratus that I bought cheap off my cousin for my 16 yr old son to learn to drive on, one of the first things I done was fix the e-brake.

Just put 8 1/4 in my car and i'm in the process of hooking them back up. I can't stand when things don't work...

How do they not work yet you have and trust your regular brakes? The only thing that actuates them is the cable and the lever mechanism against the shoes, to me you dont have good rear brakes unless your parking brake is functioning properly. So the parking brake doesn't work because of siezed internals but you think your hardware and wheel cylinders are in better shape? The parking brake setup is as simple as you can get with basically only a couple moving parts. Things sieze because most people never properly grease all pivot points and metal contact points with caliper grease.

I use them all the time especially with my 4 speed. Hell i even use it everyday in my 95 bronco with a auto, if you lubricate them upon assembly and use them regularly they won't sieze up.

I think the problems usually arise from the cables seizing up form non-use. Most auto trans guys rarely use their e-brake.

Cley

-
Back