Part Number Location

-

gmanzolirae

Reaction score
Okay guys, have a question, where on the drive line is the part number? Its not on the ends, those numbers are the yoke number. But according to my wide assortment of books, parts manuals etc. they do have a part number, but none tell you where to look.

Reason I ask is I have the driveline for the dart but I also have the drive line for the Super Bee. Both are 3 inch, both have the 2 5/8" space between flanges, granted one has a more petrified road/oil/grease look.

Can you help?
Gman

Never seen an actual part number on a driveshaft. Maybe when they were brand new there was one stenceled somewhere but after a few years out in the elements, they are long gone. The ends have numbers cast into them but I think that number is just for the end piece and not the assembly. A measurement will tell you which car a particular driveshaft is for. It would be rare to have an A-body with the big U-joints on both ends. I've seen some with a big on one end and small on the other though. Is yours a big block car or '68 Hemi car?

Driveline consist of Engine-Transmission-Driveshaft-Rear differential in my world.
Sounds like you are wanting to know about the rear-end right?? Flanges are at each end of the rear-end housing.
If so look here,
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/16.html
In our part of the world, a driveline is the same as a driveshaft. Drivetrain is the same as powertrain which is what you described....engine, trans, rear end.....Anybody else use a different name? I know other countries use different terms for some items....boot and bonnet for trunk and hood, guard for fender, windscreen for windshield, etc, but we should at least speak the same language in this country! :) Not to go too far off on a tangent but, why couldn't the car makers get together on what they call certain body types. There are hardtops, coupes, sedans, and a variety of others but some names contradict themselves. Take a Cadillac Sedan DeVille....it can be a 4DR hardtop or a sedan! My understanding was a sedan has frames around the door glass(es) and the hardtops didn't. Hard Top DeVille doesn't exactly roll off the tongue though, so that might be the reason. I guess the brains over there at GM couldn't come up with a new name....

Part number and date code are stamped on the drive/prop shaft about 10 inches from the end of the tube. First 5 didgets of P/N are 1/16" high, last 2 didgets, which also appear on the broadcast sheet, are 1/4" high.

I would have to say I agree with you. Drive train is all the mechanical parts that cause a vehicle to move/opperate. Driveshaft/Driveline well, they do what they say, they are a link between two components allow such opperation/movement. Maybe he saw drivetrain when he read the post???

Doesn't matter either way, it is the mechanical connection between the transmission to the rear axle, drive shaft, drive line, the whatcha majigger, the thingy mobob. Anyways thanks for the laugh guys....
G

Thanks I will scrub and see if it can be found.
G

Part number and date code are stamped on the drive/prop shaft about 10 inches from the end of the tube. First 5 didgets of P/N are 1/16" high, last 2 didgets, which also appear on the broadcast sheet, are 1/4" high.

You are correct, the part number on the ends of a Driveshaft/Driveline are the universal/yoke ends (Didn't know the correct name at this moment). But in regards to your second portion of your message, the drive shaft from the GTS has the large ends on both [maybe because of Big Block??], I can't say in the years I have played with mopars I have ever seen two different Universay joints on the same drive line. But I have ran into odder situations. THANKS

-
Back