Part Throttle Kickdown TF904

-

273 Commando

mooser's dad
Reaction score
Hey guys, I finally got the Duster (273 & 904) on the road and I'd like to install part-throttle kickdown in the valve body to help it along. Can I simply pull the housing and plug off of a slant six tranny and slap it on? or is there some other tips I need to know? I haven't cracked open a tranny in 25 years. Also, is the install order 2-3 shift valve, spring, plug, then housing? Thanks!! Ted

hate to rude but what are you talking about ....part throttle kick down..... you have throttle pressure linkage that comes off the carb down to the trans or a cable (after market) if there not adjusted right you will have part throttle kick down an a smoked trans in a short time cause of lack of proper pressures in the transmission .

dartman340 is right.....if it won't go, { lack of power } you must have a tune up problem, or timing or carb adjustment issue.......or exhaust restricted....could go on for ever...Those 273 always ran good...get back to us.....

I bought my part throttle kickdown kit from torque flite patty on e-bay. It came with instructions, and all it was is screw the old one off and screw the new one on.
If I recall, there is some differance between years of /6 trannys. You have to have the right one, for your 904.

You would get better results from a shift kit. The part throttle kick down was a big help to large vehicles from C-bodies to school buses. The A-body doesn't even know its there unless its on a very steep incline.

A lot of the S6's had the part throttle kickdown in the 904 already. DC sold the early style module in the '70's as a performance add-on. There is an "early" and "late" style PT module.

You're right on the install order, Ted. But, if you just remove the appropriate end plate on the VB, the spring will already be there. Just replace the plate with the housing and plug (and one longer screw). I found you don't even have to remove the VB completely. Just unbolt everything and let it drop down with the park rod still in place.

Ok guys, I'm glad some of you know what I'm talking about. And for those of you who don't, here's the deal. Prior to 1971 Chrysler had no part throttle kick down on V8's. The sixes had it to help putt them along at lower street and cruising speeds. The linkage regulated pressure and kick down at WOT, but smog, low compression and other government regs caused anemic throttle response,therefore creating the need for the V8's to get it too.

My kid's Frankenstein Duster with components of unknown origin has no PTKD. It has the correct 3 piece bellcrank linkage set up properly and slightly adjusted long to to hold the gears longer. I remember in the 70's that Direct Connection offered a PTKD kit in the P Parts catalog, and I figured it was just late model OEM stuff to add on to a pre-71 tranny. I thought I could salvage the pieces off of a junk 904 and add it on.....Whaddayathink? Thanks, Ted

Oh, one more thing. I recurved the distributor and that really woke it up. It's runnin' a 625 cfm AFB on a performer intake, headers, Comp Cams 270S solid and the rest is stock. It aint a 383, but it my kid's first car...not too bad.

-
Back