parts needed for manual steering swap

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
idk if this is the right place or not but here goes. move if it needs to be lol:)

i am swaping my 75 scamp from power steering to manual. i already went to4 speed from auto so i wanna get rid of the extra shifter lol. so i need a column for manual steering floor shift and a manual steering box along with anything else i might need(i dont think there would be anything but idk) i am getting ready to rebuild my front end and wanna do this swap at he same time as i do headers to lol. i could do trade or just buy it just let me know thanks:) i my car is the yellowish tan color so that or black perferably but whatever you have:)

idk if this is the right place or not but here goes. move if it needs to be lol:)

i am swaping my 75 scamp from power steering to manual. i already went to4 speed from auto so i wanna get rid of the extra shifter lol. so i need a column for manual steering floor shift and a manual steering box along with anything else i might need(i dont think there would be anything but idk) i am getting ready to rebuild my front end and wanna do this swap at he same time as i do headers to lol. i could do trade or just buy it just let me know thanks:) i my car is the yellowish tan color so that or black perferably but whatever you have:)

You ever drive a 4-spd car with manual steering? If you did then you know what you are getting into and just dismiss what I say next. But if not, then I would suggest you do drive the combo first - I don't think you'll like it. Don't forget that with a 4 spd car you'll only have one hand free at times to turn that wheel. For an auto car, I think quick ratio manual might be fine. But I from my experience 4spd and manual on the street, today, the way most drivers are ... dangerous combo. I am assuming you are NOT talking about a drag car (that changes the whole picture) because most people don't drag 4 spds anymore.

i respectfully disagree

You can. But the word most means over 50%. Do you really think that, other than foreign cars (you're right! ... I didn't specify), more than 50% of drag cars are 4spds?

At any rate, that's a side point and used only to express my reasoning that this request is in regards to a street car. And as I said, if it is a drag car, that's a whole nother thing.

My car is a factory 4 Speed, manual disc brakes and manual steering. I wouldn't have it any other way.

My car is a 4spd, manl brakes and WAS manl steering. Now it's power. Hey, if you like it that way, I won't argue. I just think that the OP should try it before he does it - I hated it!

To each his own…….

But with a small block in an a-body and proper alignment (unless you are running a wheel tire set up that has your car jacked in back) steering should be light even with manual steering.

If you have high effort most likely you have other issues.

To each his own…….

But with a small block in an a-body and proper alignment (unless you are running a wheel tire set up that has your car jacked in back) steering should be light even with manual steering.

If you have high effort most likely you have other issues.

Wasn't too heavy, but heavy enough for one handing in tight situations. And waaaaaaaaaaay to slow. I know you can go with quick ratio manual - thought FirmFeel apparently won't do it anymore - but I've driven a car with it ... it was fine with the automatic, but I wouldn't want it with the 4spd.

I love the simplicity of the manual box and it saves weight and space too. If I had an automatic I might just want to go back to QR manual.

Maybe it's different with a slant compared to a V8 (less weight up front?). My 65 Valiant convert is a slant with 3 on the tree (yes it's getting converted to a 4 speed but keeping the slant) and manual steering and I didn't think it was all that hard steering and shifting at the same time.

-
Back