Parts required for swapping manual disc to power disc??

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
70 Dart with factory kelsey hayes 4 piston disc front, rear 10 x 1/34 drums.
The wife won't drive it unless it has power brakes .
I'm guessing I need the following:
power brake booster
correct pushrod
correct master cylinder

what else do I need?

can I keep the original proportioning valve?

Prop valve doesn't change, though you'll want to put smaller wheel cylinders in the 10" rear drum brakes to prevent the grossly premature rear lockup the disc brake A-bodies tend to have -- it's aggravated with power brakes. See here (and threads linked from there) for details.

Booster and brackets don't have to be from a '70, you can use the easier-to-find and more compact '73-'75 item, which also gives better, less mushy pedal feel. Find a used one and send it to Booster Dewey in Portland, OR for a good rebuild ("remanufactured" items are junk).

You'll need to make new master-to-prop-valve lines because the master cylinder will move upward and forward. Don't forget to put a couple of loops in each line, as the factory did, to allow flex without metal fatigue. Get a new name-brand (Bendix, Raybestos, United) master cylinder for 1974 Dart with power disc brakes.

And you'll need a suitable vacuum tap in your intake manifold.

Prop valve doesn't change, though you'll want to put smaller wheel cylinders in the 10" rear drum brakes to prevent the grossly premature rear lockup the disc brake A-bodies tend to have -- it's aggravated with power brakes. See here (and threads linked from there) for details.

Booster and brackets don't have to be from a '70, you can use the easier-to-find and more compact '73-'75 item, which also gives better, less mushy pedal feel. Find a used one and send it to Booster Dewey in Portland, OR for a good rebuild ("remanufactured" items are junk).

You'll need to make new master-to-prop-valve lines because the master cylinder will move upward and forward. Don't forget to put a couple of loops in each line, as the factory did, to allow flex without metal fatigue. Get a new name-brand (Bendix, Raybestos, United) master cylinder for 1974 Dart with power disc brakes.

And you'll need a suitable vacuum tap in your intake manifold.

Damn, this is more complicated and costly than I had originally thought. I think at this point he wife will have to lump it. LOL.

If she finds the pedal too hard to push, you may be able to meet her needs by just swapping in a master cylinder with a smaller bore. This will increase the length of pedal travel and make the pedal effort lower. If you're presently running a 1-1/32" master cylinder, the pedal will be stiff, especially if you've got any kind of a semi-metallic brake pad composition. Regular organic pads, prepared before installation as described here and here will make the pedal less stiff, as will a 1" or 15/16"-bore master cylinder.

I still recommend the smaller-bore rear wheel cylinders, which will also help.

-
Back