Parts Washer, What Solvent?

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
Just bought a 20 gallon parts washer. I'm looking for recommendations on what solvent to use. It holds 12 gallons. They want about $40 for a 5 gallon can of solvent at the store where I bought the washer. The instructions say you can use Diesel (LOTS cheaper than $8/gal. for the stuff above) but the sticker inside of the lid specifically says not to use diesel. (WTF?) or other flammable solvents. Is this just a CYA type of deal for the mfr? What about Kerosene? I don't smoke & hope not to set the thing on fire. What works for you guys?

If you have a Harbor Freight or similar import parts washer, they advise you not to use anything flamable. I believe this is a CYA move because the lids do not have a fuse-link, and will not close automatically in the event of a fire. I have had one for several years and it is full of "Stoddard Solvent" which is somewhat flamable. You can get the stuff from your local petroleum product wholesaler like PAM Oil in Sioux Falls.

My shop is not attached to the house, and I would not under any circumstances advise keeping anything flamable in an attached garage (not even mower gas), but thats just me.

Don't use Kerosene! I carry a sealed pint bottle (made specifically for flammable fuels) of Kerosene to start wet wood on fire when I'm camping. IMO, it's as flammable as straight gas but doesn't smell as bad (doesn't seem to taint food). You mentioned you don't smoke (I do), but all it would take is one errant spark from a grinder or busted light bulb (ever swing a ladder around your shop?) to send your projects up in smoke! I can't imagine what 15 gallons of kerosene could do.

I use Castrol non-flammble solvent. It doesn't work as well as Safety-Clean, or any other flammable sovent but it works well enough, is biodegradeable and I can sleep at night.

Second choice would be Safety-Clean. It's very hard to ignite (you can take a propane torch to it, and until it starts to turn to vapor, it won't start on fire), but it is an excellent solvent.

You don't want to be using Kerosene, it's just one step up the refinery ladder from diesel which you don't want to use either. In Canada I like Varsol but it does burn just not as easy as Kerosene. I keep my washer outside and just throw a tarp over it and being outside I don't have to worry about burning down the garage. Don't waste your money on that orange crap, anything you can drink ain't going to clean built up oily grime.

Terry

Stoddard solvent is paint thinner which is also called mineral spirits, all the same. I know - I was a paint chemist. Safety clean is just mineral spirits with some higher molecular weight long chain di- alcohols in it. We used to sell them the material to make this product. These higher weight alcohols only serve to help suspend dirt. Dont bother - just use mineral spirits and keep the lid closed when you arent using it. Whatever you do dont expose the stuff to sparks or lit cigarettes or other ignited materials. I dont like diesel fuel because of its carcinogenic tendancies. Not that paint thinner is better it has not been rated that way as yet ---

I was going to use mineral spirits. After I figured the cost, I called Safety Kleen and they beat the price per gallon of me buying it plus they delivered the stuff with a bunch of extra stuff too. I say give them a call first.

I've always used Mineral sprits. Great for wood working stuff too. Keep it sealed for sure. I use it to light the trash on fire. Flames up good.

-
Back