passenger side mirror repair for loose and broken adjustement

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
ok to fix the passenger side rallye mirror from flopping around and not staying in place here is what needs to be done. this is kinda long so read carefully. the mirror will need to be broken out. when you break it out there will be a piece of spring steel visible that sits on top of a metal ball on a stud in the center of the mirror houseing. the spring steel will usually be broken off on one side. the spring steel will be held in place on 2 potmetal studs sticking up through the mirror base. take the houseing and grip both sides of it and pull with equal force. when you do this the ball stud and houseing will slip off together. once off take the stud out. the spring steel piece will need to be broken off completly. now take a small drill bit no bigger than the size of the hole that the potmetal stud went through on the piece of spring steel and carefully drill out the 2 studs through the mirror base. once you have done this you can then get 2 flat head 1 inch stainless screws. must be flat head! you will need to then go and screw the 2 screws into the holes made from the drill. do not pretap! you need a good tight fit here. once done the ball stud should be put back into the houseing for a test fit. you will need to place the spring steel over the stud and then screw the 2 screws into place as if it were into the mirror. the reason you do this is because you will need to make sure you have equal force on the screws and also make sure that when into place and screwed down that the new mirror will not hit the top of the screw heads. this is why i recommend flat head screws. ok now remove everything from the test fit. i would also recommend now while everything is out to take the ball stud and smooth it up and remove any surface rust on it. once all this is finished you will need to have some thread lock. medium strength is plenty. the thread lock will prevent you from haveing the screws from backing out and you haveing to do all of this all over again. don't forget while the mirror houseing is out get a new mirror cut for it and have it ready to go before the reassembly. now reassemble goes as follows. place the ball stud back into the mirror houseing. take the stud and guide it back into the hole you pulled it out of from the mirror head. you will need to gently tap it back into the head with a hammer until it is seated back as it was. apply some grease to the end of the ball stud. place the spring metal on top of the stud. get your screws and apply some thread lock to the threads and start screwing them into place. get them equally tight and them check for interference from the new mirror. if everything is ok and the movement of the mirror is good then you can reglue the mirror into place. remember the mirror will need to be tight but not so tight you can barely move it! i do not have any pictures to show you but this is exactly what i had to do and i have not had any problems what so ever since i did it.

-
Back