passion or hobby?

-
The more I think about it ....its an identity .......I would have probably been a troubled teen and who knows where my life would have went had I not been shown the auto industry by loved ones. It kept me out of trouble and gave me a skill and gave me a purpose.

I tried other hobbies and interests but nothing clicked in my brain like cars do.

So without them ......what would I do.....scary thought

For me I guess its been all those things at some point, passion, definitely an obsession, nowadays more of a hobby.

Although I still look for good deals on cars all the time. I'd like to find another A-body, probably and early A to use for a daily driver. Guess I'm still obsessed.

It's a hobby for me. I do love looking at old cars and I also enjoy driving them. But if I sold everything today, I would still sleep good tonight and I'd find something else to occupy me tomorrow.

I never did tell which to me....

I've had 2 passions most of my life. quarter horses and mopars..... could I get away from one or both..... they are passions but I could if I had to... would I keep trying to get back? yes....

I personally get a sense of accomplishment when I fix something on the car. no matter how small. same with the horse. from one ride to the next in training a colt, you may not see any improvement, but if you did things right.... you know it DID improve and that makes me feel good.

just me..

The more I think about it ....its an identity .......I would have probably been a troubled teen and who knows where my life would have went had I not been shown the auto industry by loved ones. It kept me out of trouble and gave me a skill and gave me a purpose.

I tried other hobbies and interests but nothing clicked in my brain like cars do.

So without them ......what would I do.....scary thought

You'd be barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen.

I have had my car for over 20 years now. My passion started with hearing stories about my fathers car and when we purchaced my current car the passion grew from my thurst oh knoledge and the comrodery. Over the years as i grew and my life changed my intrest shifted to other thing and the passion slowed but never really disappeared. As I became more successful my passion for my car would heat up as I had spare money. My car and my garage is now my zen. It provides me an outlet to relax and challenge my skills and imagination. I have a small kid now who loves the car and loves spending time working on it with me. I think if you ask my wife it is a passion and that title is ok with me because the car does not define me. I would call it more an accent.

Balance of both. Went to school, became a wrench full time. However , the job killed my personal passion for cars. Went to parts for a living, got a decent balance of both.

some might call it " a way of life " for some? I figure whether a passion or hobby, if it doesn't hurt anyone, and gives us pleasure, a sense of worth and accomplishment, maybe feeds our desire to collect stuff, gives us a spare vehicle, or even our only vehicle, and we learn HOW to repair our vehicle, or acquire a shill like welding or bodywork,...... HOW can it be a bad thing????

but some people might call it " compulsive behavior" or some such term!?? LOL!

way back in the 90's a guy called me 2 states away. he was a mechanic by trade, worked at a Chrysler dealership. he said, I see you play with these old cars a lot. said he had a 70 v code challenger, had it for years. all there and he took it ALL apart. priced it to me and I bought it, hauled it home and out it back together. he said, after working in auto garage ALL day, the last thing he wanted to do was come home and work on that darned car!

Obsession!!!!!!My job, Spare time, All my Family & Friends are in to mopar. I got my first mopar at 15 it was a 70 duster I fixed and sold it then I bought 67 dart GT and on and on from there now I have Challenger, GTX, Duster,2 Dart's, AMX, 41 dodge pick up, 78 Dodge pickup and some New Dodge's along with 6 or so part's car's. The 41 my Pawpaw bought new so my family has had the sickness for a long time.

Hmmmmm.......
Let's see,
For me it was definitely an obsession/addiction when i was younger, a passion when i got a bit older, and has now evolved into a hobby.
However, i still think about these cars a lot, because it is in my blood. (And probably will be for life).
I consider myself as a recovering Moparoholic.

You know, looking around at some of the other threads, like the "Never Ending Story" thread, or the "Word Association" thread, you can tell who here is stuck in the gear-head mentality.

Their responses are car oriented almost all the time. It's as though they have no other frame of reference to draw from. But the real diehards are the ones who answer with MoPar references even when it doesn't fit, and there are a ton of them. lol

I'm not condemning any one, or making fun of them, I'm just making an observation.

-
Back