Passon 5 Speed

-
Check the new Mopar Action mag. There's a full tear down article of the Passon tranny in it. I was referring to the internal rail shifting of the Tremec units I don't care for. The Passon unit mimics the Mopar 833 with serious upgrades in longevity and durability. It's an aluminum case rated at 650ft;lbs. The gears are 27% wider with tapered bearings throughout the trans. It will fit an A-body with no body/frame mods. In the article they show the new trans beside an old 833 & you can see how it will fit. I'm foaming at the mouth right now!!!!!!!! I can't wait!:burnout:

OK got it, no internal shift rails, I was confused on that. Damn that is gonna be nice, and AMERICAN made! You guys are killing me.... :)

I looked for the pics, and couldn't find any, can anybody link them???

thanks

FF

You have to find the specific posts with the links for the pics. There will be the word "attachment" in the bar across the top of the post & you have to click on it. It's easy to miss.

OK so I did some math... Since gas is going through the roof it is going to put a serious strain on me to keep driving my Valiant every day. I'll spare you the details but I drive about 100 miles a day round trip on my commute... Rough math (using an RPM calculator from Randy's ring and pinion site) says I can save $1500 on fuel in 3 years, just on my daily commute alone. Subtract 1500 from 4300 puts the price of that puppy back down to about $2800... Not to mention the wear and tear it will save on my engine on the highway... And then you throw in the FUN factor of bangin' gears in that rascal... which you can't really put a price on :) OK so what am I missing here, I think I have almost talked myself in to it... now I just gotta figure out how to pay for it...

I'm paying down my credit card now so I can get one. I certainly do not have the cash laying around.

FYI ,,I did notice a few errors in the Mopar Action article with the photo captions.
After doing a few Tremec installs, this Passon unit is the better choice. After reading the article and seeing the photos I want one too! Well worth the cost in the long run.

Major floor modifications would be needed to use that thing...

Thats alright there is hardly anything that I have not already cut anyway, I have about 50 cents invested in a cut-off wheel cutting out the tunnel .
I cant see spending an extra $2500 just to say I dont have to cut some sheetmetal. JMO though.

Thats alright there is hardly anything that I have not already cut anyway, I have about 50 cents invested in a cut-off wheel cutting out the tunnel .
I cant see spending an extra $2500 just to say I dont have to cut some sheetmetal. JMO though.

It sounds like the Passon 5 speed unit is geared (pun intended) towards guys with original 4-speed cars that don't want to cut up their cars but want an overdrive to make their cars more driveable on the highway.

Restomod guys are usually going to town modifying just about everything on 6 cyl or 318 auto cars so cutting up a floor to fit whatever trans they want is no biggie.Two different options for two different types of cars.

I just picked up a solid original 70 340 Duster that has 3:91 gears so it really screams off the line but within a couple minutes of highway driving I was wishing for one more gear.That trans is exactly what I need and when I'm back to work and can afford one,I'll be putting my name on the list.

Just a picture/quote on the countershaft photo,got it backwards about the hollow shaft.

It sounds like the Passon 5 speed unit is geared (pun intended) towards guys with original 4-speed cars that don't want to cut up their cars but want an overdrive to make their cars more driveable on the highway.

Restomod guys are usually going to town modifying just about everything on 6 cyl or 318 auto cars so cutting up a floor to fit whatever trans they want is no biggie.Two different options for two different types of cars.

GT - If you make a list of manual transmissions with 0.70 OD which can handle a stout big block, will still shift at 7000 rpm, and will work with an A-body console how many would be on that list? I guess it depends on what you want. I really like the idea that from outside the car, or the passenger seat it all looks very close to stock.

-
Back